We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A warning ref: waeplus.co.uk 180 Newhall St, Birmingham.

LastChip
Resolved

Likes # 0

A while back during August, I ordered a new Intel CPU from this company listed as "in stock". They gave an 8-10 working day delivery, which I thought was excessive, but accepted as their pricing was very competitive.

10 working days came, but no CPU, so I telephoned to find out where it was. The service adviser mumbled something about there being a problem with the order, so I cancelled it there and then on the telephone and requested a refund to my credit card. She said that would be dealt with, but when pressed by me for a time scale, failed to tell me anything concrete, which rung alarm bells. So the next day, I emailed them confirming the cancellation and again requesting a refund.

7 days later, still no sign of a refund, so I emailed them again asking where it was. I received a reply the next day saying it was being dealt with.

10 days further on, still no refund, so I've placed the transaction in dispute with my credit card company and I would expect a refund from them in due course.

Now, I don't live anywhere near Birmingham, but possibly for those that do, walking into their shop and buying something over the counter may be great, but their on-line offering in my experience is appalling. In excess of two weeks to get a credit card refund for a product they failed to supply and therefore, did not fulfil their side of the contract, is completely unacceptable. So be warned!

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I think "Caveat Emptor" should apply here, as in most online purchases.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

**It's unfair to warn people about a company, with all that implies, based on a single user's experience of unacceptable service. Based on what has been said, this company has not acted in contravention of consumer law.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/2/tech-consumer-advice/4175771/a-warning-ref-waepluscouk-180-newhall-st-birmingham/#ixzz287jWZyX7 **

Somebody has to be first otherwise we would never hear of these "dubious" companies

Like this post
andy..b

Likes # 0

I would like to add my experience for comparison. I ordered a TV/monitor Aug 25th, and paid for quicker delivery as I was going away. When it didn't arrive, I phoned up, an apology was given, and delivery was rearranged for after my return. When this delivery also failed, I phoned again, and discovered that the shipping process had not begun, with no reason given. I cancelled the order, and was told the refund should be with me within a week. This was September 11th. Since then, I have chased the refund a number of times, via the website form, to which I have never had a response, and over the phone. The customer service advisors are invariably polite, but despite my best efforts, succeed in giving absolutely no information about the reason for the delay and when the refund will be paid. Last time, I tried to speak to a manager, but they were all on a break, and the promised call back never happened. My advice would be to pay a little more if necessary, and use one of the more reputable outlets to avoid such time consuming, frustrating sagas.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

HondaMan

"Somebody has to be first otherwise we would never hear of these "dubious" companies"

Of course, and I have never argued otherwise. My concern has always been to try to ensure that a supplier isn't unfairly labelled as being "dubious". Ours is is a very well-known and heavily used website - these pages are viewed by huge numbers of people - and a bad review here by someone who is angry at a supplier can rapidly affect that company's business.

It has always been our policy to support anyone who posts here with a genuine complaint against a supplier. We invite suppliers to respond to complaints in the forum, and many of them have done so. It's a fair way of doing things, and above all else we want to be fair. Not everyone who complains has a valid case, and a single bad experience does not warrant a recommendation that other people should avoid a supplier. Other forums are littered with warnings - usually in upper case - that people should avoid this or that company like the plague, often because one person didn't like the way he or she was treated. Those words, connected to a specific company, are featured in search engine lists, and a negative picture can rapidly build.

We're not going to contribute to those scenarios under any circumstances - there are usually better ways to resolve the problems.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"My concern has always been to try to ensure that a supplier isn't unfairly labelled as being "dubious". "

LastChip made no attempt to label this company as "dubious", OT anything else.

He simply recounted his experiences and said "Be warned".

He left it up to is to apply our own labels, or ignore him as appropriate.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"LastChip made no attempt to label this company as "dubious","

I didn't say he did - I was referring to the comment made by Hondaman.

Stop trying to pick an argument, I'm sure LastChip doesn't need you to fight his corner for him.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Update.

As I was accused of being unfair, in order to bring this thread to a conclusion, I offer this as factual and completely unembellished.

23 August ordered CPU and received confirmation.

Several days later, I received a courtesy telephone call telling me my order was on schedule to be delivered within the 8-10 working days - due by 11 September. When I asked why it was taking so long, the question wasn't addressed, except with waffle.

11 September, no CPU and my telephone call to them asking about it's lack of appearance. Service advisor avoided all questions as to why. Cancelled there and then and all my questions regarding a time scale for my refund were deliberately avoided.

12 September, confirmed cancellation via their website contact form. Never got a reply to that email.

19 September, still no refund and sent an email via their contact page asking where my refund was. It's (in my view) ominous they have a specific email for "Where's my refund".

20 September, got an email back saying the refund was "coming soon".

29 September, still no refund, placed the transaction "in dispute" with my credit card provider.

3 October, received paperwork from my credit card company to complete my claim.

Keeping in mind our FE's comment about them having 30 days legally to refund, I prepared the necessary documentation, but held off sending it until the 30 days had passed.

8 October, I received an email from wae+ saying the refund had been actioned.

10 October, the refund appears in my account and I advise my credit card company the issue is now resolved.

So, they used my money to the day and just met their legal obligations to me. Although I cannot and would not claim they've done anything illegal, they've certainly gone on my personal black list, never, ever, to be used again.

You must make of it what you will.

One moral of this sorry tail, is make sure you keep a meticulous record of any on-line dealings and if at all possible, pay by credit card to gain the statuary protection provided (I believe the transaction has to be £100 or more). You may need those records in the future!

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you for the update. It was indeed a bit of a sorry tale, but I'm pleased you finally received the refund.

I wholeheartedly endorse your comments about keeping meticulous records of any email or telephone exchanges with suppliers, and the advice to only use a credit card to make online purchases. Some debit card providers also offer some protection but the scheme is voluntary, and not all banks subscribe to it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data