We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Combined Fridge Freezer

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a 3yr old Beko fridge freezer. This model has only one compressor and the thermostat is in the fridge compartement.

I am becoming concerned as the fridge seems very cold (+1, I'd expect +5) and the freezer insufficiently cold (-12, I'd expect -18). Anyone else experienced this sort of problem, as I'm at a loss to explain it?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sounds like the seal has gone on the freezer and the compressor is running trying to compensate, thereby overcooling the frig.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Nope - door seal is fine. Someone suggested leaving the fridge door open from time to time to force the freezer temp down! Sounds a bit extreme. but may have to do it in the short term.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Build up of ice?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No - it defrosts automatically.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I had a Hotpoint that was supposed to defrost but had a build up of ice behind a panel. The freezer seemed to be constantly working.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Daughter has a fridge /freezer that has the same problem occuring about once a year. Her solution is to switch it off for 48 hours to properly defrost. (She does have a stand by freezer in the garage). This seems to work.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"No - it defrosts automatically."

That does fail sometimes; like Woolwell, I had one like that.

Just failed to auto defrost the once, but that was enough to cause excessive ice build up (which you don't see, as it's in the defrost coils).

The switch off for 48 hours tip is a good one; it worked for me.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks - I'll give it a try

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

The symptoms that you describe suggest that it has a lost part of the gas charge, the refrigerator section ie the evaporator will continue to get colder and freezer area will get less cold until it looses so much gas that it fails to cool at all, domestic units are not designed to be re charged and therefore uneconomical to repair

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm. having just replaced my dishwasher (17 yrs old) looks like I may have to save my pennies!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks