We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

brand new printers supplied with non genuine ink cartridges

Number six
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently bought a new Canon printer from one of Amazon's "marketplace" retailers. On setting up and installing the ink cartridges, I was surprised to find that it had been supplied with non-genuine cartriges. A little research revealed this to be a fairly common practise, at least amongst Amazon's linked retailers, who apparently open the packing, remove the supplied Canon cartridges, and replace them with compatible ones before dispatch. Even though at this stage I have no way of comparing image quality with that which could be acheived with genuine ones, the printer seems to work OK.

Two thoughts occur to me: Because the value of these cartridges is about £30 less than genuine ones, the discount price value is almost completely wiped out, and secondly, is this practise actually legal?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

D@ve:

I have no doubt the seller is selling on the Canon tanks, I notice they have now dropped the price of the printer by another £6.

Jock1e:

I am sure you will be OK buying from Amazon direct, I doubt they would indulge in such devious practises.

I have now emailed the actual seller directly to see what they have to say.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Number six

You have done the correct thing by contacting the seller, because they would be the only people who would have the answer to your question.

Amazon Market Place like eBay have a variety of seller's, ranging from individual's to larger retail outlets who want to sell goods, and each have their own methods of how they obtain and sell the items.

Stocks can be supplied via Store or Customer Returns, Clearance, Overstocks, Discontinued Models and possibly refurbishment. The method of supply and contents or condition should be stated in any advertising.

A typical example would be 'grey' products, like is often seen with cameras, and purchaser's only become aware of this, when making a warranty claim.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Reply from sellers, claiming that they fit their own brand of ink tanks as a method of promotion, these being, in their opinion, better and cheaper than the originals. Also offered refund or replacement if still not happy.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

So they open the box, remove the supplied cartridges and replace with their own. What else have they done? In their opinion they may be better but are they? I would want replacement and would not buy from them again.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

My recently purchased NEW Canon printer came from Amazon - with all the correct cartridges included. Had it not, I would immedaitely have lodged a complaint with the supplier copied to Amazon AND Canon.

I've never copme across this practice myself, but IMHO it is inexcusable and bordering on criminal. The supplied cartridges may have been half empty, but it is the user choice, not the vendor's what cartridges are subsequently used. If they want to advertise their cartridges, there are ways of doing so. They could even add these as a bundles 'gift' to their customers, but they certainly have no right to open the box let alone remove the mauufacturer's cartridges and still claim the product is new.

Like this post
John Andersan

Likes # 0

Hi friends,

I suggest you that firstly your check all part of the product then buy it. If any problem then tell to the seller.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features