We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

brand new printers supplied with non genuine ink cartridges

Number six
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently bought a new Canon printer from one of Amazon's "marketplace" retailers. On setting up and installing the ink cartridges, I was surprised to find that it had been supplied with non-genuine cartriges. A little research revealed this to be a fairly common practise, at least amongst Amazon's linked retailers, who apparently open the packing, remove the supplied Canon cartridges, and replace them with compatible ones before dispatch. Even though at this stage I have no way of comparing image quality with that which could be acheived with genuine ones, the printer seems to work OK.

Two thoughts occur to me: Because the value of these cartridges is about £30 less than genuine ones, the discount price value is almost completely wiped out, and secondly, is this practise actually legal?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I am sure this has been mentioned on here before but not sure if it was Amazon or E-bay.

I do believe that after complaining the proper cartridges were forwarded to the buyer.

Maybe check with Cannon first to see what cartridges are included and if it is their own brand a quick complaint to Amazon to see what they can do about it.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Have e-mailed Amazon; awaiting reply.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

A couple of customer reviews with the same problem.

Customer Reviews

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There is nothing illegal about this practise, providing the advert didn't state that Canon cartridges would be supplied.

As you have already stated and noted, this practise of supplying compatibles is not unknown, and there are various reasons for this.

Canon might object if you went back to them for a warranty claim, and they found compatible print cartridges had been used, and not their own more expensive products.

I assume that you purchased the printer at a 'bargain price' and perhaps not at the maximum price the item is being sold at on the open market?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Another point is that many manufactureres now supply only partially filled cartridges with a new machine. Cynical me says that this is to improve the profit margin by requiring purchasers to need to buy new cartridges at inflated prices soon after purchase.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The printer must come boxed with proper cartridges what right has the seller to change them.

Does it mean all big company's can do the same when they have a sale.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If I bought a brand new car I'd be damned annoyed to find out that the garage had removed the original brake pads and replaced them with some cheapo untraceable alternatives, discount price or not!

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

spuds:

As stated, printer purchased from one of Amazon's "shopfront" retailers, at the standard on-line price offered by numerous retailers. Certainly not "bargain price". Could you elaborate as to the "numerous reasons" for this practise of swapping out ink tanks?

morddwydd:

Exactly my point, well put!

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

The seller will no doubt be selling the cartridges on for a tidy profit, and some unsuspecting buyer will be paying a lot of money for only partially filled cartridges.

Personally I'd be returning the printer or asking for the original cartridges back. If the item is advertised as being brand new then you can expect to receive it as originally packaged unless stated otherwise which I assume it was not.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Number six

Just ordered a cheap HP printer from them with free delivery which can take a week.

I did check and it said HP ink cartridges supplied with it.

Went back into the site and had a hard job finding where it said HP Cartridges but found it eventually.

HP 301 Black Ink Cartridge HP 301 Tri-colour Ink Cartridge

So will wait and see if I get the proper ones or not.

Have you checked to see what Cartridges are supposed to be supplied with your particular model.Well actually we know what they should be but if you find it in the small print it would be better.

I suppose the difference is I am getting mine direct from Amazon so don't think that there will be any problems.

Gave away a brand new one a few years ago thinking that I would not need one but I have been proved wrong.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features