We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kitchen Appliance Servicing Contract Customer Service

Newuser939

Likes # 0

I have a kitchen appliance maintenance contract with Domestic & General for my Bosch appliances. D&G insist on using Bosch themselves for any work. Recently I had to wait for a week and a half for an engineer's visit. That visit did not cure the problem, but this time I am having to wait two weeks from the request to the engineer's visit. Most people (except Bosch, of course) would regard that sort of delay as completely unacceptable. Accordingly, I would hope to move to a better provider when this year's contract is up. Is there such a provider, or is there a gap in the market for a provider who values good customer service?

Just incidentally, I am aware of the arguments for and against such contracts, but that is not the point of this posting.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

We have the same contract with the same company, but for a mixture of machines - Bosch fridge/freezer, Miele washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer.

We find that Miele engineers respond within a week, but Bosch are slower, although the delay can vary. I've always put it down to volume of work, and because the service is so good when they arrive we've lived with the delays. Perhaps it's a case of better the devil you know.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Is there such a provider, or is there a gap in the market for a provider who values good customer service?"

I recall dealing with Domestic and General in their infancy, and that company as grown to a much larger organisation, taking in many companies products under warranty claims.

What I find rather baffling is how a number of companies offer their own warranties, and at the same time offer Domestic and Generals services via leaflets in cartons which new items are supplied in.

About twelve months ago, we purchased a fridge freezer from Currys, and that came with offers of warranty services via the manufacturer and D&G. We took out the 5 year years parts warranty supplied by the manufacturer, and thought nothing more about it.

This month, we have been informed by D&G as well as Currys, that the twelve month guarantee is about to expire, and would we like to continue the warranty on the product, for a further 3/4 years. One warranty and letter from Dixon Group Know How and the other from Domestic & General. No mention of the manufacturer's warranty, that we had already extended.

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

FE By way of an update, the engineer came after my two week wait and decided that a particular spare part was needed. However, the Bosch stock control system is so awful that the part is not available anywhere in UK or Germany. Consequently I will have an indefinite wait until the repair can be completed! I think that FE must have been very lucky. You still have to wonder how a company with such a poor standard of customer service can accumulate so many "best buys" from Which?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update.

I'm astonished to learn of the Bosch stock problem. Do you know what the part is?

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

FE No, I'm sorry, I don't know what the part is that is causing the problem. In fact it appears that I need two parts. One is a fan and one is a controller which governs the amount of time the drum turns in each direction. As you will gather, I don't know much about the inner workings of washer/dryers!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I'm astonished to learn of the Bosch stock problem."

If you haven't bought a Bosch appliance for a while you are iun for a surprise when you do.

I recently replaced a Bosch dishwasher as the old one was beginning to show signs of age, but the new one was well below the standards I had come to expect from Bosch.

Poor performance, plasticky flimsy fittings and a poor feel to whole thing.

With the old machine, even at the end of its life, I rarely had to rewash anything, and then usually only badly positioned cutlery.

With the new machine I have to rewash something, sometimes as many as six things, every time.

This was one of the few times I have written a bad review, for anything, let alone a Bosch item.

They have moved well down market.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...