We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

are you experienced?

rickf

Likes # 0

Are you using the intel i3 or i5 processor? If so how do it find it, say, compared with AMD quad core ones? Many thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have not done an actual comparison, but I am using a i5 in my Novatech Laptop - IMHO it is excellent and very fast!

i7 would be even faster!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I'm using an i7 860 on a Mesh computer with 8GB ram. Would be faster but I have a lot on it and over 800 fonts

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks. This is going to be 2nd laptop so going for i3 or amd quad core only, i5 nad i7 out of my range

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It depends on what you are going to be using the laptop for. Bought an AMD one recently and it is more than adequate for photo processing, general web surfing and office. Originally wanted an i3 or i5 but the price and availability swayed me.

In my desktop I've got an i7.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Running an AMD Phenom II x4 850 CPU with 8 Gig ram. Fast enough for me and costs a bit less than an i5.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Lots of fonts is one of the big speed problems of computers, from the days of win95 remove the one you do not use. DO NOT Remove System Fonts

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I have an amd quad core phenom IIx4 N930 as my main laptop but looking for a 2nd one so thinking of intel. There is a brand new Acer 5742 i3 for £299 with full warranty which I think is excellent value. I like the i3/5 because it has L3 cache.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Acer seem to suffer from Cracked screens be aware of this problem. You can check out PCA for Acer Screen probs

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm sorry to disagree with woodchip. I have an Acer and know others who have them and I don't think that they are any more prone to screen cracking than any other manufacturer.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I agree with the last post. I have been using Acers for a long time and I would not say they are more prone to probs than others. My son is still using his Acer 5920G after 6 yrs and he is a heavy user including playing games online. That said the graphics card is now out of date for the latest games. My latest is a Packard Bell ( an Acer co.) TK87 Core i5 and it's excellent and very fast.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing