We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Download Speeds - Wireless Network Adaptors

glosmgc

Likes # 0

Can anyone give me some advice please? Just moved homes. Running an old Dell Dimension 3000, on XP alongside a Samsumg R720 laptop on 7. Taken my BT package with me, but although the laptop is showing signal strength excellent (72-117 mbps), the Dell is sluggish on "very low" (11.00 mbps). It currently has a Belkin 802.11g (54 mbps) WNA which is probably out of date and causing the problem. Can someone recommend a better one and a supplier?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

First you need to know what speed to expect where you have moved to. if its a BT landline

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

11Mbps is the maximum speed of 802.11b. Perhaps the wireless adapter of your Dell Dimension is old and only capable of 802.11b?

If your laptop gets a good signal when you use it in the same location as your desktop then I'd suggest upgrading the wireless adapter (and if necessary, the antenna) on the desktop, rather than the router. If you still have problems then look at getting a 802.11n router and 802.11n wireless adapters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers