We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vendors continousing responsibility extending beyond the 1 year

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

In an other topic I have been helping a friend with a computer that seems to have a fault - which has been returned to vendor and the machine returned with seemingly a continuing issie- and this gas been happening over a period of 3 years - before he turned to me.

The machine machine runs normally in all aspect except when composing an E mail it simply shuts down.

Searching various forums it seems it is a known problem with a batch of this particular model Acer Aspire 7736 Z

If this proves to be accurate - what recourse is there now after 3 years.

I seem to recall a similar issue where it was established that in consumer law the vendor is responsible for items for longer than the noramal warranty period . Six years seems to ring a bell. Any thoughts please?

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Have a look here for some consumer rights. No mention of six years cover here but over two is mentioned. TC. faulty goods

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I thought that if you could prove that the fault was there from new then liability is unlimited by time.

Do doubt the FE will give the definitive answer.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can get help if it's a hardware fault. Not if it's Software

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Shutting down when compiling, and sending, an email makes me think of security software being the culprit, especially if the M/C has a security suit.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Rdave That's an interesting thought Would the composing 'live' cause this as opposed to general 'browsng'?

Ihave also suggested to the owner to compose offline in a text editor then simply Cut and paste.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This is going to be a software fault of some kind. What email software is involved?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you for responses so far0 seeing this individual is spasmodic at the gym

FE

As far as I can tell the Email is Web - Hotmail Which makes it the more weird, He can surf and download and send on stuff- all day.

But as soon as the Keyboard is used to compose - the machine shuts down.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Try using a different email client, Incredimail or something else like that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014