We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Breakdown cover for Dell PC

Hetti

Likes # 0

Hope this question in in the right place!

I have an Intel core i7 2600s 2.8ghz Inspriron One all in one PC, 8 gig memory one, terabyte Hard drive,it is under warranty until Nov this year but it has already been back to Dell twice for repair, first time they replaced mainboard second time it was a fan as PC was running hot.

Yesterday Dell have phoned and offered me 3 yrs Next day business breakdown policy for £165 (I thought it not a bad price for 3 year cover)My question is is it a good deal or does anyone know of a better one?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I have my doubts, sometimes, about Dell's competence, but you can't fault the standard of service, on their "premium" plans. If you need it, for business, where time is money, I would say it's a no-brainer, at that price.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

All depends how much your computer cost.Up to £450 probably not worth it.Anything above that worth thinking about.

£165 could go into the kitty for buying a new computer.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks Guys frybluff I do need PC every day, Jock1e PC cost £995 so as you say worth it maybe

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Check the T&C's. Many do not cover, so called, 'fair' Wear & Tear

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Hetti

That sort of price I for the Laptop I would go with the Breakdown cover.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The reason for my comments, on Dell, was that I had an issue with intermittent wi-fi. It took half a dozen phone calls, back and forth, for them to decide I needed a new wi-fi adaptor, which was a bit poor, but having decided it needed a new part, about 6pm, one day, there was someone, on my doorstep, with the bit, about 10am, the following day, which I thought was pretty brilliant. 

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Just over £1 a week is an excellent price for 'next day' breakdown cover. Before taking the plunge however, I would want to be sure I knew what is covered and what isn't.

Like this post
malgall

Likes # 0

my niece has dropped her computer out of warrenty i was able to extend warranty and they fixed well worth it i would say

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ 3 yrs Next day business breakdown policy for £165]

It may not cover you for accidental damage.

My daughter took out an extended 3 year warranty with her daughters laptop.

She dropped it in the house cracking the screen but she was told she could not claim as the accidental damage only covered the first year.So read the small print before taking on an extended warranty.

Like this post
G-telware

Likes # 0

I have also used Dell PC, but I haven't got Breaking down cover, Is it beneficial for Dell PC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more