We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet TV under scrutiny in the House of Lords

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

If given the go-ahead this will mean the end of broadcast TV as we know it. Can't say that I myself am impressed with the idea, but others may be looking forward to it. What say you? TC. Lords help us!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Not in my lifetime.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Printed books will be next on the Lords' list to 'go for a burton'...freeing up much needed shelf-space, up and down the land. (TIC)

But television over the internet would appeal to me; as I only have 'dial-up' and a mobile broadband dongle internet connection, I wouldn't be able watch it (TV) at all...sounds good to me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"I only have 'dial-up' and a mobile broadband dongle internet connection,"

Have you explored alternatives?

It's just possible that you could make an overall saving and get a faster connection as well.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link, FE. I will 'mull it over'...seriously.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

How is internet TV ever to be achieved throughout the country when the vast majority of the population cannot D/L Youtube video without it buffering. I for one cannot see high speed broadband reaching my area within the next 10 years if ever. I don't live in a particularly remote location, just a bit off the beaten track. it is typical of Westminster, if you live north the Severn/Trent you do not count. Everthing is for the southeast.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Already have internet TV with SKY and to be honest it's very good, films take about 30 seconds to buffer before being able to watch them and also get a good choice of programmes on demand.

Times are changing and it's all for the better.

Only problem is you need a good download speed.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Only problem is you need a good download speed."

And that's the rub.

I don't live in a particularly remote or rural area but I can't even listen to uninterrupted internet radio, let alone watch video.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I too can D/L through Sky but in my case I have to D/L the film etc. some considerable time before viewing. Live TV is impossible. The funds allocated to upgrade to high speed internet at the moment will only cover a small fraction of the country. It is going to need at least 10 times as much if not more to give an adequate service.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's rather reminiscent of Rediffusion.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'