We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What replacement graphics card do I need?

robbo947

Likes # 0

Hi,

Now I will add as much info as I can to try and find the right answer, but with everything there is online I don't know where to start?

This is the info I have just copied....

Windows 7 Ultimate

System

Manufacturer PACKARD BELL BV Model iXtreme Y8520 Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM System type 32-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2 64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 793 GB Disk partition (C:) 281 GB Free (327 GB Total) Media drive (D:) CD/DVD Disk partition (I:) 120 GB Free (466 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0) Total available graphics memory 256 MB Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB Dedicated system memory 64 MB Shared system memory 192 MB Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1749 Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050 DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

The graphics card that isn't working is....

GV-N860G512IA nVIDIA GeForce 8600GS 512MB VGA/DVI/TVO PCIe Graphics Card

Could anyone please point me in the right direction for a replacement? eBay, PC World etc.

Many Thanks

Ben

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Ben: Before you start spending money.

What is it that convinces you that your current Graphics Card has failed?

While I am not doubting that it is no longer working, there may be ways of re-igniting it that would save you a few shekels.

Like this post
robbo947

Likes # 0

Hey wee eddie!

My PC doesn't turn on when it's plugged in.

I was trying to watch a trailer this morning on Yahoo, I tried to change the video to 720, the PC stopped working and the PC just turned off.

I unplugged everything in an effort to turn the PC back on, Then it worked when I took out the card, I would love to get it working again if possible??

Ben

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What do you do when you unplug the Graphics Card?

Do you change the Monitor's Cable from the Graphics Card Socket to the Mother Board's Connection Panel or is it already connected there?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

One of the limitations is that as far as I am aware the PSU is only 250w.

Like this post
robbo947

Likes # 0

The card has been working fine for a good couple of years.

Plugged or unplugged into the motherboard video card the PC turns on, once you add the graphics card, plugged or unplugged it will not turn on.

Ben

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As far as I know.

Even if a non working Graphics Card is plugged into the correct Slot, it should not cause the System to fail to boot. All that should happen, is that a Monitor, plugged into the Graphics Card, will display a logo, or message, saying 'No Signal'.

Are the Contacts on the Graphics Card damaged and, potentially, causing a Short Circuit.

When you install the Graphics Card, do you move the Monitor's Connection to the Graphics Card, or leave it where it is?

Like this post
robbo947

Likes # 0

Cosmetically the card looks sound.

Regardless if the VGA cable is plugged in or not the PC still doesn't power up, not even for a moment.

No logo, Nothing.

I have checked the slots on the motherboard, besides dust, they look ok and in one piece.

Ben

Like this post
robbo947

Likes # 0

Sooooo.......

Back on topic??

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have no idea where/how to look next, but the problem could be the Slot rather than the Card, if that is the case, then buying a new card would not solve the problem.

SC, another question.

Without the Card in place and when the PC starts normally. Do you get a POST Beep?

When the Card is in it's Slot and the Monitor is plugged into the Card rather than the PC. What happens when you turn the PC on?

Nothing - No lights, no noises, no sound of Hard Drive starting - or what?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Another question, from what you said in your second Posting.

"I was trying to watch a trailer this morning on Yahoo, I tried to change the video to 720, the PC stopped working and the PC just turned off."

What did you actually do?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...