We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New intel i3 or AMD system

mart7

Likes # 0

looking to buy a new system within the next month,i currently have an intel 4300 dual core ,4gb ram,2x 350gb hard drives,and lg dvd writer,nvidia 9600 gtx graphics card

2 systems i like the look of http://www.cclonline.com/product/82442/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Elite-Hawk-II-Gaming-PC/CCL-EL-HWK2/

http://www.cclonline.com/product/83899/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Elite-Kestrel-II-Gaming-PC/CCL-EL-KST2/

Both appear to be good quality and a significant upgrade to what i have now Any comments much appreciated and i havent found this system spec for this price anywhere else cheaper unless someone can point me to the site

cheers

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The first thing to say is that, if you have the confidence to do it, you could build a better quality system yourself. The drawback with pre-built, budget, gaming PCs, is that they tend to use compact cases, with "cheap and cheerful" power supplies, that don't have long-term reliability, and offer very little scope to upgrade, in the future.

That said, the spec on these two (apart from "un-named" PSU) is not that bad. Normally, I would say go for Intel processor, even i3, over any AMD processor. However, the AMD build does have a much better graphics card (the GTX 550Ti, in the other, is pretty c**p), so I reluctantly have to say the AMD build probably "shades it" overall.

Before you make a final decision, check out the offerings from CHILLBLAST. They do a couple of low priced gamers, that are worth at least considering. Although, as I said, nothing much wrong with your current choices. I know Chillblast are pretty reliable, the firm you've chosen may be brilliant, I just don't know. Make sure you check out some user reviews, to satisfy yourself.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Thanks for comments,ive come to same conclusion there isnt much difference in these systems its a matter of preference,having just looked at a head to head in graphics,the amd card beats the gforce for fps and runs cooler but not by so much,and the radeon card looks huge with 2fans on! Cpu comparison the i3 beats the amd by 20% according to the review The psu in the system is a xfx pro 450w

i have looked at chillblast but they dont seem to cater for the mid range system,no intel i3 only i5

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I think the expression is swings and roundabouts. As I said, just about give the edga to AMD, for gaming. As an all-round PC, it probably swings the other way. In an ideal world, you'd have the i3 with the Radeon. (that's the benefit of building your own).

Glad to hear they have, at least, reasonable PSU. So many of these budget gamers use total junk, for power supplies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Sony Xperia Z3 launch live video: press conference IFA 2014

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

GDS opens lab for testing online government services

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September