We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB in car

frenchman96

Likes # 0

Hi There

I have my music saved to a memory stick, and would like to play it in car.

I see on Amazon, they sell adapters to fit in cigaret lighter socket, but most reviews mention it about charging items.

I want to know if the same adapter will play my music

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Short answer is no. It will be just a charger and you would need to have your music on an MP3 player to take advantage of any auxiliary input that you car radio may have. There are radios available with usb inputs that would enable you to use your memory stick if you want to change the one that is currently in your car. Just Google 'car radio with usb'.

Like this post
Bluejacket

Likes # 0

Thank you Canarieslover. I am also looking for it too.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

There may be a way round it IF you have a cassette player? It's a bit convoluted though.

Sony (And others I think) do a cassette adapter you pop in your car radio that has a 3.5mm audio jack attached. I use this to connect my phone to my car stereo which works great for both music and sat nav. There is also available on Amazon, among others, a 3.5mm female to USB adapter. I think the USB is male though, so you'd need a gender bender too (USB male to female adapter). I'm not a technical person, so can't guarantee that would work, as USB is essentially a digital connection whilst the 3.5 jack is analogue audio, but the fact that there is a USB to 3.5 female available would imply that it may work.

A bit messy maybe, but none of those items should be very expensive to try. I paid about £9 for my cassette adapter and the other bits shouldn't be more than £2-3 each.

Could be worth a dabble??

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

The straight forward answer is,put your music on a cd.

Like this post
yonex24562

Likes # 0

I recently bought a similar item from amazon for just under £5. The one I bought can play from a memory stick, an SD card and uses a cable to connect to the headphone output from an mp3 player etc. It transmits on FM and has lots of different channels it broadcasts on. It also came with a remote but the only downside is whenever it is switched off it doesn't remember the channel it was broadcasting on or the track it was playing but for a fiver what do you expect. The sound quality is not too bad either, it's better than the older fm transmitter it replaced. hope this helps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia