We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Hotmail no more ?

iscanut2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Has anyone noticed that Microsoft has pulled the plug on Hotmail and replaced it with Outlook ? I do no recall seeing much in the way of publicity or info about this. What are you views on this change ?

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

The appearance has changed slightly but it still says Hotmail here.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What has happened is that Microsoft has launched a new email service called Outlook.com

You can upgrade your existing Hotmail account to Outlook very easily. Just go to Outlook.com and select the option to upgrade. You can choose a new email address if you wish, and rename your account. You'll get free SkyDrive file storage space, and Microsoft will automatically move all your hotmail contacts over to your new Outlook account.

You can of course select an option to receive mail from any other email accounts directly into your Outlook account.

It's all very slick and clean, and I like it very much. It's the perfect email facility for anyone who prefers to deal with email via their browser, rather than install software on their computer, or for people who work from more than one location and on more than one computer. One of Microsoft's minor triumphs in my opinion.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

It's the perfect email facility for anyone who prefers to deal with email via their browser, rather than install software on their computer,

FE

Pardon my ignorance, but -

Does this mean that the new Hotmail is in fact similar to Gmail - i.e. is it 'webmail'? as opposed to using a mail client such as Incredimail.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Nontek...YES ! There has been no change in that respect as Hotmail has always been web based rather than ISP client based.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nontek

All email obviously comes via the web, whether you have client software on your computer or not. Hotmail - and now Outlook.com is what is called 'webmail' because it isn't necessary for a computer to have anything other than a browser and an internet connection in order to use it. You can receive and send your mail from any computer you happen to be using.

Outlook.com is new, and is designed to be more 'business-like' than Hotmail in appearance. It certainly looks good, and it works perfectly. It's useful to have SkyDrive space if you want to store documents securely for access wherever you happen to be.

My advice to webmail users is always the same - if you use it on a computer in a hotel business centre, or anywhere that there are public-access machines, make sure that when you finish your session you delete the browser's history cache, just to be doubly sure.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With hotmail you could use an e-mail client and I assume that it is the same with outlook.com which is an unfortunate name as it is bound to cause confusion with Outlook the e-mail client.

I fail to see why it is the perfect email facility compared to gmail. Unfortunately I have come across too many instances of hotmail accounts having been hacked, loads of spam, etc and wonder if this will change with outlook.com. I suspect not but would like to be proved wrong.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

iscanut and FE

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Cheers.

Like this post  
CommandJG

Likes # 0

I noticed that the template design is different when I use my personal account and my business account.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...