We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Choosing an external hard drive

Addie

Likes # 0

I need a larger external hard drive to back up to my PC. I was thinking of 1TB. As I use a desk top, it wouldn't necessarily have to be portable, but there again a portable one would take up less room on my desk.

Are there any benefits to getting a larger form external hard drive to one really designed to be more for laptop use does anyone know?

I am also a little confused as to the merits of using any accompanying software. The external drive I have used to date is a Western Digital but I just manually saved whatever files I wanted on it rather than using any software. Sometimes everything went smoothly doing a 'save' this way, other times even though I performed the same task the same way, it didn't save all the files & I needed to repeat the process. This meant that each time I performed a backup I have needed to check through several files to ensure that all necessary data is actually there. I could do with a bit of guidance really as to what might be a good choice for me and would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. Thanks.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Western Digital are as good as any. Seagate are also OK. A 1TB USB3 WD will set you back about £75. I think desktops are slightly more reliable, unless you want something you can "stick in a safe place", each time.

DECENT back-up software is worth getting, especially if you want to do frequent back-ups of important stuff, and gives much more peace of mind, that you can recover, if you do have "a disaster".

Acronis True Image is generally regarded as the best, at around £35. There are some quite good free ones, like Paragon, but I use Acronis, as I think it's £35 well spent. For instance, you can set it to automatically check your back-ups, once they are done, and give you an alert, if there's a problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

frybluff , check out Paragon's hard disk manager 12 suit. Not free and in my very humble opinion much better than Acronis.

Like this post
Addie

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice. Will go and have another look around the online shops to see what I can find.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

http://store.downloadcrew.com/p18966-acronistrueimagehome2012

save £18 or so.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features