We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cant access site built by ex-partner

Mole-Inc
Resolved

Likes # 0

hi all, im posting on behalf of a friend, her ex-partner built her a site through google, he is now estranged...and my friend cant access the site, which is her main livelihood to respond to customer enquiries etc, which is now efecting her income...the ex refuses to grant access, username, passwords etc, from what we can gather the site is set up, paid for and (supposedly) maintained by the ex. a call to google london has confirmed this...what are her options please

regards Carl
Like this post
Mole-Inc

Likes # 0

im using google chrome on xp, ive had a look at the site, the ex has been editing and deleting stuff as recent as aug12 2012 and is clearly tampering in my friends buisiness...i realise the site is legaly his...but the buisiness is my friends...im guessing this is becoming a legal issue...any advice apriciated

also im able to "inspect element"...would it be possibe to copy this code, set up again with google but with my friends cc, e-mail add password etc

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As your friend has (apparantly) not paid in to the build, maintaince and running costs of the site, she has very little say in how it is changed.

I suggest that she has a new site built as soon as posible and transfers all her business to the new site,and a s soon as spossible contact her customers with the new contact details.

Is the Paypal (or payment method) in his name as well, if so unless you have a joint account, you may be cut off from any funds on that site.

If you can prove that the business is run by you, and your ex partner has no say in the business except the web site, you may be able to take legal action, however the costs may well outweigh the benefits.

Terry

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There are spiteful people in life, and this man is obviously one of them. There is nothing your friend can do about the website if he will not divulge the access details. Tell her to get on with creating a new site as rapidly as possible.

She may have cause to sue for consequential loss, but as Terry Brown says, the cost of bringing the action may be prohibitive.

On a practical level, your friend, or someone else, could certainly download and save copies of the site code, together with the html pages themselves.It may assist whoever ends up designing the new one.

She doesn't have to go with Google - she should register a domain name and get a hosting package from a reputable hosting company. She can do that at a very reasonable cost, and she'll have access to all kinds of free software and facilities.

It would be worth sending a special delivery letter to the ex-partner, warning him that he must cease and desist any involvement in the business website, and that if he interferes with the conduct of the business in any way he may find himself on the receiving end of an action for damages.

Like this post
Mole-Inc

Likes # 0

ok terry...thanks, pety-much as i thought

Like this post
Mole-Inc

Likes # 0

and FE...thankyou

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite