We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Phone calls from Microsoft ??

Winston33

Likes # 0

I am an 83 year old silver surfer with a some knowledge of the inside of acomputer having built three in the past , recently I have been pestered with phone calls from a call centre (you can hear lots of converations in the background) and the man says that Microsoft are recieving messages from my computerand that he can fix the problem If I were to switch on my computer and give him a few minutes of my time , I said are you calling from Microsoft itself ? he said yes so I said which of my machines is giving the problem he then said the oldest one , to which I replied It has not been switch on for over a month as i have been away.he thensaid that that didnot matter s they would get the messages from my computer even if the machine was not switched on, unless I am a complete idiot how could my machine send messages to microsoft when it is not connected to WWW.This sounds like a scam to me.and does Microsoft cold call in this country.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

alan14 and wee eddie.

I concede.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I strongly suggest that you ignore all the advice about swearing, blowing police whistles, and so on. None of that makes any sense at all. The person making the call is simply doing what he or she is paid to do.

Follow tullie's advice. Just put the phone down and get on with life.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Alan14 "I fail to see how potentially damaging the hearing of someone who's just doing their job will help.

Simply putting the phone down is all that's required in these cases..."

Couldn't disagree more. Anybody who disturbs my peace and quiet with scam deserves anything and everything I can give them If it damages their hearing all well and good, if they can't work they will not bother anyone else.

Anyone working for this scam's originator must know that it is a scam.

So far as your first sentence is concerned it gives me a great deal of satisfaction

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

HondaMan

"Anybody who disturbs my peace and quiet with scam deserves anything and everything I can give them If it damages their hearing all well and good, if they can't work they will not bother anyone else."

"So far as your first sentence is concerned it gives me a great deal of satisfaction"

Saying that you would get a great deal of satisfaction from damaging someone else's hearing, simply because they disturbed your peace and quiet is an appalling thing to admit. I feel truly disgusted to know that we have someone in the forum who happily claims he would enjoy harming a total stranger over something as trivial as an unwanted phone call.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Raely do I disagree with our Forum Editor who 99.9% of the time is absolutely spot on

On this occasion I do albeit I draw the line at the use of whistles etc. It is proving impossible to stop these calls using 'Telephone Preference Service' as they originate outside the UK. But cold calling from the UK is also on the increase and those doing it are able to ignore the blunt teeth of the TPS system with impunity. Putting the phone down is NOT a deterrent and they simply try again.

I have outlined one way I respond and for me it works in that rarely do the same company call me back-albeit they probably sell on my number elesewhere. However for the perpetrators time is money and making them waste time is a reasonable way of ensuring you have a chance they will not call again--or at least that is my experience.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

I cannot support some of the actions suggested here, but on the flip side can we consider for one moment the effect, the worry and the possible cost that these scam actions are having on thousands of less IT experienced users. It is easy for us to cast it off as of no importance but there are people out there who are not as PC literate and believe that we live in an honest world. These are the people who end up with additional software on their pc from accepting the help offered, which then allows the other party to take control of their PC and open to be interrogated for passwords or other information, and eventually having to give credit card details to have it removed. I don't believe for one minute that these people don't know what they are doing, you only need to engage them in conversation to soon figure that they know exactly what they are doing and not just reading from a prepared script, they have all the answer to go with it. It is fraud and it is unacceptable, putting the phone down is a solution for you and me but our knowledge is not open to all and will not close them down

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

My mother, now unfortunately dead, was plagued by incessant telephone calls from various "people" so much so that she was afraid to answer the telephone at all. In addition, she was conned out of a fair bit of money by being asked to call premium rate numbers. In her state of mind she had no idea of the costs she was incurring. She rang some numbers 5 or 6 times at a cost of more than £1.00 per minute.

I shall refrain from commenting on certain other observations made

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

i was going to say unhook your phone but don't if they constantly ring let it go to an answer machine.

by that way when you review the answer machine you know if a friend or relative has called, and you know not to call the con people claiming to be microsoft who are trying to infect your computer to commit a crime against you.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Winston thanks for letting us know

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Calls seem to be on the increase again. It is quite some time since I had any but suddenly three in two days. My wife just answers that she never uses a computer, which is very true as she just uses me to find out what she wants to know.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...