We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free upgrade on an iMac bought from amazon uk

Sapins
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having bought an iMac within the period for a free upgrade to the OS I duly scanned a copy of the order and sent it via the application form to Apple. I received a reply saying they could not proceed as it was missing the "part number". I e-mailed Apple to ask where would I find the number, no reply, so I inserted the serial number on the form and re-sent it, received same reply "no part number" I then contacted Amazon to ask, via live chat, for the part number, they did not know what that was so said they would bring in "The Amazon Chiefs" I thought for a moment they were going to get some large American Football players to sort them out. After 5 days, which was yesterday, I received an e-mail from Amazon informing me that although it normally only takes 1/2 days they were still investigating the problem. Has anyone applied for this update and if so how did you get on? What and where is the "part number" on an iMac?

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

I should have added that three e-mails via the link Apple provided if "you have problems" have so far been ignored.

Like this post
blodgett

Likes # 0

Hi Sapins, I have recently bought a Mac Mini and yesterday I updated the OS to Mountain Lion using the Apple on line update option. The only "number" I had to supply was the serial number of the unit and where I bought it. However it was a rather long drawn out process with various computer generated emails, but succeeded in the end. If you go to :- www.apple.com/uk/osx/uptodate you will see, on the left a OS X Mountain Lion section follow the instructions. Good Luck

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Hi blodgett,

Was your update a free version?

Like this post
blodgett

Likes # 0

Hi Sapins Yes it was, but there were time limits from date of purchase.I think starting in June and going on to late August, but have a look at the site.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

The form seams to be the same as I tried but I will go through it.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Apple won't accept application, asks for part number again.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Sapins

If you'd purchased the iMac from an Apple retail shop or online shop then on their official receipt there is a part number alongside the serial number in the form of XYYYYX/X X=>Letter, Y=>number.

Not sure about the Amazon receipt format but if you don't see part number then try the order/marketing number if there is one.

After all Amazon should sort this out for you, I suppose.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

retep888™

I am waiting for Amazon to get back to me on this, Apple just ignore my e-mails and this on the link "if you have problems" on the e-mail they send rejecting my request for the upgrade!

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Sapins

Not sure why Apple'd want a Part Number from you, please follow the below procedures if you did differently & see if it helps.

1) On the Up To Date form, fill in the Date of Purchase =>Place Of Purchase =>select Reseller =>Details of Reseller (Amazon,in your case) => check I accept Terms & Conditions =>Click Continue. Leave Right to Copy & Number of Qualifying systems for right to copy options blank.

2) Enter your details =>Enter your contact informations (just enter 44 without the + sign in the Country Codes if asked)=>Click Continue =>Enter Serial Numbers(no Part numbers is needed)=> select system (iMac in your case) => Click Continue & submit your form ,you should get approval from Apple at once & an email will be sent to your email address with a file to download & a Password to open it.

3) You'll get a consent code within the PDF file which you can use to redeem Mountain Lion in App store, anyway if Apple still fails to approve your upgrade then only if you got the iMac from a marketplace seller because Amazon is an approved Apple product seller, they're supposed to help you out.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

retep888™

I have tried again from the beginning following your advice and end up with the same response, No Part Number.

I will have to wait for Amazon to sort it out.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Sapins.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...