We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT INFINITY _ WHEN?

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

My local exchange - Baschurch - has rolled out infinity to a local village (some 3 months ago). A new BT manhole has appeared outside my house and engineers have been laying fibre optic cables locally. Samknows says BT are taking orders for Baschurch, but inputting my postcode/phone number leads to 'not available'.

Nowhere on the BT site nor Openreach have I been able to find a planned date for my area. Does anyone have any ideas on how I may find out?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Mine is FTTC and is still pretty fast, actual speeds lowest 35+Mbps and fastest 73Mbps, usually around 50Mbps on average. BT Infinity in Portsmouth area.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

I think you've forgotten my location.

Planning is devolved!

Nowt to do with Dave, I have to wait for Big Eck!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

FE - the planned date was March last year! I've spoken to the local resident who was instrumental in the bid. He is as hacked off with the situation as I am. He has contacts within BT with whom he was involved during the bid - they have simply sloped shoulders and blamed someone else. He has now written to our local Tory MP, who was seen on TV a week or so ago, saying he was commited to high speed broadband for rural areas. He is now in contact with the CE of BT, so will be interested to see what the outcome is.

I'll report back with any update as this may be of interest to others in a similar situation.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mordwydd

You're right, I had forgotten.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's the UK sorted then. Major cities, who have the best broad band service anyway, are upgraded again. Excellent.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Probably one of the most annoying things about the BT rollout of Infinity is that it seems as if upgrading sites are chosen by a blindfolded planner sticking a pin in a map of the UK.

It is quite impossible to get any sort of forecast if the pin has not hit your map area yet--and goodness knows my MSP and others have tried. High time there was some grand geographical plan involved in the process rather than sheer guesswork.

Like this post
strawdick

Likes # 0

Any news? I'm also in Baschurch with no access to Infinity and no information as to when, or even IF, I'll be getting it. If I just knew if there is a plan to connect me I could cope with it and wait but not knowing either way is driving me mad.

Cheers

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

strawdick

I spoke to Bill Smith yesterday and he showed me an email from BT saying 'rural areas are difficult and complex....'. It finished by saying that infinity will be available in Baschurch by the end of October. Didn't say which year though! There is some progress as you can see the new fibre optic cable hanging from some of the telephone poles in the village.

Like this post
strawdick

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the info and the quick reply. I'm just off Kings Drive so I'd be amazed if it doesn't appear. So frustrating. Even if they don't go any quicker they could help themselves so much by letting everyone know the plans with some very rough non-binding timescales.

I'll have to have a look at some of the telegraph poles in the village to keep an eye on progress.

Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...