We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT INFINITY _ WHEN?

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

My local exchange - Baschurch - has rolled out infinity to a local village (some 3 months ago). A new BT manhole has appeared outside my house and engineers have been laying fibre optic cables locally. Samknows says BT are taking orders for Baschurch, but inputting my postcode/phone number leads to 'not available'.

Nowhere on the BT site nor Openreach have I been able to find a planned date for my area. Does anyone have any ideas on how I may find out?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have been told that planning permission will not be necessary as we are to have fibre to the property, and any electronic gizmos will be in the new manholes (that came from BT when their Infinity bus was here several weeks ago). I've tried live chat with BT, but still no answer. Will just have to be patient I suppose!

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

Our local exchange was said to be getting superfast broadband this year. As yet no signs although rumour has it work is taking place.

Querying this I was recommended to enter my postcode to this FTTC check website. Result was, superfast broadband is scheduled for our exchange but not necessarily our junction box. That would possibly be 2014!

Try the link with yours and see what info ops up.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Bapou

Just tried your link, and apparently there is no plans for my area yet. Strange really, because as I said earlier, BT are putting in fibre optics about half a mile away, and some of the local boxes have had modifications.

Virgin are doing very well with their system in my area. Perhaps people are getting fed-up waiting for BT?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

That site give me 100% probability of fibre to the premises, and says the exchange is enabled. Doesn't help with timescale, sadly. At least I know it is going to happen for sure, so thanks for the link.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Infinity is an interesting concept:

Of course, ones immediate reaction is of something Infinitely large or fast.

However there is another side to Infinity and that is what BT is providing me. Infinitely Small/Slow Broadband

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

the optic they put in, is just other side of the road from me and its underground. but they still are using old boxes. I think new Optic went in so they could have fast BB to a new school they just built 12 to 18 months ago just past my house.

PS comes out of the ground as Copper and up a Telegraph Pole then cross the road to my house and others

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm lucky there as my feed is underground from the manhole, so FTTP is defo on - can't wait!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm beginning to wonder if the Race to Infinity is a joke on the part of BT. After another 6 weeks, nothing has happened. I raised a complaint ticket with BT and got an answer - of sorts. The one thing that was ignored was WHEN.

It really is beginning to look as thought BT feel they have honoured the winner of this race by enabling the exchange, but are failing to offer the service to the vast majority of their potential customers. I'm really at a loss as the where to go next - any suggestions would be welcome!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If I knew I would go there myself.

I'm sick to death of BT and their paltry 4 megs or so.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mordwydd

The government is easing the planning process for BT so the company doesn't have to wait for local authority consent before it sites fibre cable cabinets in our streets. It should make the whole thing easier for BT and for consumers who want the service. The take-up rate should increase as availability improves. You probably stand a better chance of getting Infinity by the forecast date, or shortly afterwards.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK