We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virginmedia losing customers to BT

Number six
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have used Virginmedia for BB/TV/phone for several years, and have been generally quite happy with their services. I was informed a few months ago that they would soon be doubling the speed of my BB service. I was glad that at least they appeared to be doing something to justify the regular price hikes, which seem to occur every couple of months. So, I have been regularly checking their website to see when this upgrade is supposed to take place. "July onwards", it has been telling me for weeks. Great! Can't wait! Just checked again, now saying it will not happen until between December and June next year.

Also, not too pleased with them when there was a fault on my landline phone, and had to wait three days for an engineer to call and fix it.

I fear they may soon be losing many customers to BT when they finally get around to installing their fibreoptic services.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - you must have been an 'overhead' linesman...I was strictly U/G [underground] maintenance.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Did the overhead bit as part of the training, then went into a Repeater Station (when they still used valve amplifiers!).

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - onthelimit1

When I was talking to the BT engineer mentioned in my earlier post, he told me that jobs and limits had all changed. Some engineers are tasked with one or two jobs, others can now be 'multi-taskers' (doing most things) with a slight increase in pay, but with harder time schedules?.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I realise that to those who have to rely on copper-based phone lines for their B/B service, virginmedia's cable speeds must seem like a dream. However, the network of fibreoptics they are using are in many cases over 30 years old. If BT's shiny new ones can deliver 3-4 times faster at a lower cost, I would certainly consider them. Any tales of BT Infinity performance issues?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Number six

If your BT phone line no longer works I believe BT charge you over £100 to reconnect it.just checked £130 it is.

If you still have a dialing tone on your BT connection it maybe free or at least cheaper.

Engineer call out £130.maybe cheaper staying where you are.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I have been with Virginmedia from the start (Originally Blueyonder) and have had very little problem with them. A few minor problems with the TV box (replaced within 2 days) and a fault with the modem, Phoned up on the Friday- online tests done- fault still there, new box arrived on Monday.

I pay for the 20mb speed and normally get about 15mb during the day and 18mb at night.

The only quibble I have is the cost of the Telephone calls and I solved that by paying my line rental to Virginmedia and routing my calls through First Telecom.

Try getting that with BT.

Terry

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

U make savings if you pay line rental with bt for the whole year or pay n arm or a leg.

With virgin you can still pay monthly and their broadband cost has gone down for the first 6 months

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have nothing but Praise for BT - I have been with BT for years, including several home moves. BT have never let me down. Yes, I pay on average £30 per month, but that is for BT Infinity Option2 - free calls anytime etc etc, I get regular speeds of between 35Gbps and 73Gbds depending on time of day, so I am quite happy with that.

I don't understand people who get the cheapest they can find, and then complain when things go wrong. IMHO one gets what one pays for.

Though I do feel sorry for those who live in areas where any Internet is problematical.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Any tales of BT Infinity performance issues?"

I have been a BT broadband customer since the day they introduced their ADSL service, in fact I was told I was among the first 10,000 people in the country to get broadband.

Over all that time BT has provided me with an excellent service; I have not once had a problem that wasn't resolved within about ten minutes, and those were very minor.

Now I have a BT Infinity connection. It took a while longer than BT originally forecast to get the service into my road, but since it was connected it has worked perfectly, and is very fast.

Based on my own experience I can say that I wouldn't dream of leaving BT.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July