We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

which is the best make of laptop

jayjayj

Likes # 0

hi i have a toshiba laptop which im am having a few problems with i have been offered an exchange or money back as it is still new the problem is i like the laptop i have and it as everything i need should i stick with this model l850-166 or go for a sony or something else i have always had toshiba just seem to have a few faults with this model thanks

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

If you are happy with Toshiba, then stay with them. Otherwise, read the reviews on the PCA website and take your pick.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm a bit of a Toshiba fan myself. The company knows how to make good, dependable laptops, and I've had several of them.

Don't be deterred, just because you happen to have had a machine with a problem - it's unlikely to happen twice. I would go for a replacement.

Like this post
jayjayj

Likes # 0

thanks for replys i had a toshiba for over ten years that why i pick toshiba again, the problem is this is my 3rd replacement the first 1 made a static pop noise the second 1 was full of finger prints on the screen, and now this 1 is making the pop noise every now and again at the moment i have a complaint with the store where i bought it as i am wondering if i have a refurbished laptop, i have been told i can exchange it again or pick something else but there nothing else that i like this one suits all my needs, also feel that the store shud compansate me in some way as they cant explain why 2 new laptops are cover in prints and look like the screen had been wiped with a damp rag

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"also feel that the store shud compansate me in some way as they cant explain why 2 new laptops are cover in prints and look like the screen had been wiped with a damp rag"

You can tell immediately if a laptop box has been opened because the manufacturer's seal will be broken. I can't tell you whether or not you have been given a used or display machine, but there's no reason why the store should compensate you, so forget about that, and concentrate on getting a brand new computer. Which store are we talking about, by the way?

Like this post
jayjayj

Likes # 0

the seal wasnt broken but i find it hard to believe that toshiba would send them out in this condion

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The "fingerprint" issue is probably down to a packer, at the factory, having an "off day", which shouldn't happen, but does.

I would be more concerned with the "faults". If you've had two, with the same fault, that really does point to a "batch issue". That doesn't have to be in manufacture. It could be poor handling, or storage, of a particular shipment.

No manufacturer has 100% reliability (I would have said Toshiba was one of the better ones). What's important is how, if you are unlucky enough to have a problem, that issue is dealt with. It does, at least, sound as if your supplier has been helpful.

No one can give you "guaranteed" advice. At the end of the day, you've just got to "go with your gut".

Like this post
DeviantYouTubeMan

Likes # 0

If we consider performance, decent specs, price, and design; and based on the life span of the laptops of the people I know, Asus, Toshiba, and Lenovo are really good makers of laptops.

I always rely on expert reviews from this site and other sites like CNET.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made