We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reserve and Collect DSRs

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

Yesterday I purchased a camera by the 'reserve and collect' system at Curry's. In spite of reading all the reviews before hand that highly recommended it I find the picture quality is inferior to my Kodak compact and Fuji bridge cameras.

I paid for it on collection so it appears from looking at DSR regs the circumstances are outside the regs as I had an opportunity to examine it in store.

I tried it in store the day before and naturally the screen display was very good.

I wouldn't have found this problem by opening the box in store. So really it is my disappointment rather than a defect.

So I assume it is take it back and see what the shop says.

The camera is a Canon SX230HS. so if anyone has the same camera perhaps they could comment on it.

Thanks.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"I tried it in store the day before and naturally the screen display was very good"

The DSR would not apply, but if you think the item is faulty, then the other usual 'fit for' consumer laws would. Take it back and explain your concerns.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

spuds

Thanks. I am testing it over the weekend to see if if it is me or the camera.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Even if it had been purchased online and delivered, I'm fairly sure that the Distant Selling Regulations state that the item must be returned in 'as new' condition, i.e. unopened.

I think if you take it back to Currys and explain your concerns, they'll be happy to exchange it for you, even if not legally obligated to do so. Their aftersales service is fairly decent in this area in my limited experience.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

D@ve

I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to open and inspect in those circumstances. But thanks for replying.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...sometimes the default 'picture quality' setting is fixed at mid-value. Perhaps, you might be able to reset that value to a higher picture resolution, via the MENU.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I think Aitchbee has got it right, but not the reset part. The Canon SX230HS is rated by DPreview Canon SX230HSalong with the Nikon equivelant as the best in the range.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Comets returns policy from their website:

"For click and collect, call & collect and store purchases that are brand new and still sealed in the box - bring it back with your receipt within 28 days of purchase. During the first 14 days we'll exchange or refund the item if it's unopened. After the 14th day, if the item is unopened, we'll exchange or put the value of the returned item onto a Comet gift card.

Sorry, we can't accept any products that have been opened, or returned with missing parts: remote controls, instructions etc."

I would definately go back to the store and ask for some assistance. They have some very good expert staff on the camera section. Make sure you find one and ask them what they think.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Sorry, we can't accept any products that have been opened".

Total nonsense, is isn't part of consumer law.

But it does pay to check boxes and see if a seal is intact, because a broken seal 'might' indicate a customer returns or contents have been tampered with.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Apologies for late reply.

Thanks for the comments and hssutton for the link. I have also read the review here, my usual place.

Steve's reviews

I think the mistake I made as far as DSRs are concerned is that I should have had it delivered, but as Bluewater is only 15 mins away I succumbed. Anyway I have improved the quality by by going to fine.' from standard. The super slow movie mode is very good. I wouldn't say the menus are very user friendly till you get the hang of them.. Have read the CD manual and the book and still can't find the options for Image stabilisation. Spent over an hour this morning . 'Steve'says the best setting is 'continuous', but as I can't find it anywhere in the two menus I think it will be an email to Canon. I have had about eight cameras in the last 9 years so am used to most quirks.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

As I have drifted away from the thread title I will resolve.

Thanks.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014