We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anti Virus Software Renewal Prices

mister_b

Likes # 0

My 1.0 version of Kaspersky Pure is due to expire in a couple of weeks and I refuse to pay the £44 renewal price to upgrade to Pure 2.0.

My question is, If I buy another copy of Kaspersky Pure 1.0 for a tenner and uninstall my current version and install my new copy, would there be any problems with that? I presume i'd get another year of 1.0 with constant security updates but without the fancy new features of 2.0?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Don't waste your money

There are plenty of free AV products out there which will do the job just as well.

Like this post
mister_b

Likes # 0

I'm aware of the free alternatives. However, i've been impressed with Kaspersky over this year and would like to continue using it, just without the large price tag. That's the reason behind my question.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try changing the keycode from the new one to the old one and see if it works.If not you may have to remove the old version first.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

mister_b , if you like, and impressed by, Kaspersky then you need to pay the extortionate price for the year. If you are somewhat less than impressed by their prices then change. Simple supply and demand.

Like this post
acfc

Likes # 0

Like yourself I prefer Kaspersky to other products but do not consider the renewal prices fair and reasonable when you can buy new products cheaper. I recently bought a new copy from Amazon instead and just used the code that came with that as my renewal. No need to uninstall unless your exisiting copy is an old version.

You can update your Kaspersky software to the latest version as they are released during the license period.

I understand some people prefer free AV software or alternative paid versions but personally I am happy I to pay about £1 per month for what I consider (as well as most independant tests I have read) slightly better protection.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just a thought:

Each year the AV Companies make changes the the Core of their Software, which are designed to make it more capable of dealing with the latest threats. So you are, theoretically, better off buying a copy of the latest iteration each year.

If you decide to just pay for the continuation of the updating of the old database of signatures. That's what you get ~ The Software that you bought with the latest signatures.

Budget for a new copy each year, or go for one of the Freebies. Usually the Freebies require more input from yourself, but rarely of a technical nature.

Like this post
acfc

Likes # 0

Wee Eddie

I can only speak for the 2 AV software I have used in the past 4-5 years but certainly both Eset and Kaspersky allow you to upgrade your software as well as signatures during the licence period FOC so I will get Kaspersky 2013 next month under my existing licence.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

A bit cheaper here.

http://store.v3.co.uk/p27327-kasperskypure20

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks