We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Use of OEM in self-build. Permissable?

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

I appreciate that OEM is intended for system builders, who are selling the end product, but have heard the arguement "I am buiding a system, and MAY sell it, in the future", but presume that's stretching a point. On many things there's not a large price difference, but for some things, like Windows, there's a huge difference between OEM, and retail, prices.

Are there potential issues/ problems, arising from the use of OEM, or is that the resposibility of the seller? On some sites, if you enqire about OEM, you get a stern warning "OEM products are intended ..."

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A couple of years ago I went into all this with Microsoft in some detail. At the time I managed to elicit the information that, provided a person was using the OEM licence on a brand new, home-built machine there would not be a problem.

As far as I'm concerned that is still the position, so go ahead. If you ever get a knock on the door from a Microsoft lawyer tell him/her to contact me.

Like this post  
frybluff

Likes # 0

FE

Thanks for that. On one hand I thought someone is hardly likely to come after "littl'ol me", but then firms like Microsoft can be really "hot" on any copywright, or similar, issues.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

PS It actually let me do a post, without having to log in, yet again. Is problem solved?

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I've fitted OEMs on several PCs that I've built for family members. Microsoft have even re-activated an OEM on a different PC when I explained the motherboard on the original had developed a fault

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Why not? Several companies will happily sell you OEM software with other components. I recall Dabs.com doing it a few years back, in fact I bought a copy of Windows XP Pro for a new-build I was doing

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I regularly buy OEM versions of Windows when building PCs for family members / friends. Never had any problems with them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014