We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PSU dead after 4 months.Company says 30 day deadline

ciaranz

Likes # 0

I bought a Case and PSU from internetct.co.uk through Ebay on 25/02/12.The PSU packed up 2 days ago.The company says it is still under warranty unless I bought it on Ebay in which case I had only 30 days.Surely this PSU was 'not fit for purpose'.You expect it to last longer than 4 months.I paid for it through Paypal. Shouldn't the company replace this faulty item? Am I left out in the cold because I bought through Ebay. Can they simply dismiss the fact that it died after such a short time?

Regards Ciaran Mulholland

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If new and bought from a UK Based Company, you should be covered for a minimum of 1 year. The Company, that you bought from, is the one you should deal with.

If second hand or purchased from outside the UK, I think that you are onto a looser. Although you have some Rights, the cost of enforcing them may exceed the cost of you buying a replacement.

These are opinions, others may be able to quote the facts to you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Can they simply dismiss the fact that it died after such a short time?"

No,they can't. Regardless of any terms and conditions which may be placed on a transaction by a supplier, consumer law is overriding. You are entitled to expect a replacement if a product develops a fault within six months of the date of purchase, unless the supplier can prove that the fault wasn't inherent at the time. In practice this is virtually impossible - tell the supplier that you are entitled to a replacement.

If the supplier is based in the EU you will be covered, but if that's not the case you'll run into difficulties, as UK/EU laws will not apply.

Like this post
jaraba

Likes # 0

Looked them up and they are based in stoke

Instead of 0870 number look here

Like this post
jaraba

Likes # 0

Computer Technology Stoke Limited

01782 273333 (got from saynoto870

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think that you might need to check on the eBay advert that you made the purchase from, because some items sold through eBay are advertised as 'used' and/or 'refurbished''returns' with limited warranty conditions specified, at the time of purchase.

If the item was brand new and unused, then that's a different matter.

Should there be a problem with the retailer/seller, then contact eBay/PayPal, for advice, and possibly regarding their customer protection scheme.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014