We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What PC should I buy?

re_cord_man

Likes # 0

I use my home PC mostly for both Family History research and processing photos and negatives/slides. I always scan any negs or slides in maximum resolution and save them as TIFF images for later processing in Elements/Lightroom. Am I better getting a quad core PC or not, and what would the best spec for me to look for? (I currenly have archived some 40,000 images and still have around 5000 to do at least.) My present PC struggles to cope with image processing very quickly and I find it very frustrating to be waiting for it to process.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I know nothing about familly history research, but most (as far as I know, all) Adobe photographic software can use Intel's hyperthreading. So, as you move up, through i3 to i5 to i7, you will get improvements in photo processing speed, so it's a question of how far your budget will stretch. A decent amount of RAM (6GB+) helps, as does a good amount of fast access storage.

Graphics tends to be more of an issue with video, but, if you believe all of Intel's sales hype, the HD4000 graphics on the latest Ivybridge series is very good.

If you check out Chillblast's website, they have a whole section, on photo and video systems. Their high end offerings are very much video orientated, but more modest ones would be suitable.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Family History doesn't require much from a computer. Photo storage though does. 1 Tb hard drive minimum possibly 2 500 Gb and back up, back up, back up!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia