We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car Tax Fair or unfair

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Daughter came in last night and said she had just renewed her car Tax and it cost £250 for the year.

Don't be daft I said it cannot be as much as that for a 1600cc petrol car.

My Brother in Law pays £195 for a 2 Litre deisel DTI car.

So she phoned the DVLA and was told what she was charged was correct as it goes on H2o emissions or something like that.Something far wrong when it is cheaper to Tax a large car than a smaller one.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply alan14.

All you need now is free parking in London and you have got it made.

I find it amazing the actual difference in road tax for cars and vans.I have only used vans for the last 20years and had not noticed the price changes before.

I only do about 3.000 miles a year now and have decided that my owner driver days are over. Walking will be better for me and cheaper.Might get a bus pass if they still do them. Mind you I havent been on a bus for about 40years.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Buteman: Get a bike, there are powered bikes available, which would help you up hills.

If you have a bike, remember to keep the tyres hard. Soft tyres make for hard pedaling!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

wee eddie

I will give that a miss getting to old for things like that.

I thought walking would at least give me a bit of exercise.Bike would probably kill me.

Talking about power bikes I did see someone on one the other day and thought what a good idea as I had not seen one before.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

My Peugeot 207 1.6 Diesel costs £30 a year. My wife's 1.6 petrol Honda Jazz costs £125 a year, its down to the CO2 emission figure .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014