We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Secure Passwords

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I tried to buy a Kindle book earlier this morning.

In a procedure that was new to me I was redirected from Amazon to a third party site where I had to open an account.

Tried three different passwords, all rejected as not being secure enough.

The format and mix I use is acceptable to three banks and two credit cards, with different digits, obviously, without demur, but not to an on-line bookseller.

Couldn’t be bothered with their convolutions and machinations so knocked it on the head.

They have lost a sale, and I can’t get my book. However, plenty of books around, not sure if it’s that easy to attract new customers though!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

When I worked in a secure area I had six x eight digit safe combinations to remember, and I had to change them every three months.

Two of the safes had to be accessed with senior security staff looking on, so there was no question of an aide memoire.

I used a system whereby each eight figure combination was itself multiplied/divided by another figure familiar only to me and one other person, who lived on a different continent!

The resultant figures, all six of them, I did openly write down.

This used to cause apoplexy among the security people, but I used to put my figures on a piece of paper, leave them all day and challenge them to work out the combination.

Since these people were trained counter-intelligence staff they could go right back to the date of my great grandfather's marriage, but they never managed to crack my code!

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Some are brilliant and then there are the rest of us.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

wee eddie had to read your post a couple of times, 'I use my old Car Numbers alongside the name of an associated girlfriend, its colour or make.' ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more