We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Secure Passwords

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I tried to buy a Kindle book earlier this morning.

In a procedure that was new to me I was redirected from Amazon to a third party site where I had to open an account.

Tried three different passwords, all rejected as not being secure enough.

The format and mix I use is acceptable to three banks and two credit cards, with different digits, obviously, without demur, but not to an on-line bookseller.

Couldn’t be bothered with their convolutions and machinations so knocked it on the head.

They have lost a sale, and I can’t get my book. However, plenty of books around, not sure if it’s that easy to attract new customers though!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I had a problem on the Barclaycard website with Visa security password clarification last year. Never a problem anywhere else.

Contacting Barclaycard, and was informed that it was a known problem on some accounts, but they didn't have a time scale for fixing the problem?.

On-line banking and purchases is the way forward, if you can put up with the little obstacles perhaps, and try elsewhere?.

With regards to opening new accounts, this is usually done for confirmation of mailing address purposes. I use a number of these, especially if I pay through PayPal or Google payment services.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

I purchased mine from Amazon,no third party involved.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

tullie

It depends on the book.

As I said I was redirected from Amazon.

A bit like Marketplace, the book is on the Amazon website, and you go through your account, and put it in your basket, but as soon as you go to checkout you're redirected to the third party site.

I'd not come across the system before.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I had the same problem with iTunes as it would not accept the secure password I use for my banking...and I too hit it on the head as far as purchasing anything was concerned. Seems they insist on at least one capital letter.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

To logon to one of my computers I use the password:- Q A Z W S X ...it's difficult to forget!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

...it's difficult to forget!

Why?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

left-hand set of keys on a qwerty Keyboard

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I use my old Car Numbers alongside the name of an associated girlfriend, its colour or make.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Wee Eddie

Thanks for that I completely missed that one. So if you need an alphanumeric password you just add in the top row of keys and have eight figures. Hmm I feel a change coming to my numerous unmemorable passwords:-))

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I use the Lastpass Firefox Addon to store logon details and generate passwords. Once you get used to it it is simple to use. I have a very strong 17 digit Alpha/Numeric Master Password to access it which has so much personal significance I doubt I will not forget until alzheimer's sets in, maybe then not.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...