We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) vs Blackberry Playbook

climb45

Likes # 0

Anyone have advice to give on which is the best for viewing and editing Word and Excel documents and synchronizing these with a PC?

Also am I correct in thinking that the Blackberry Desktop software cannot be used to synchronize an Outlook calendar with the Playbook and that this can only be done via a Blackberry Smartphone.

Is it possible to sync an Outlook calendar with the Samsung Galaxy?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I will follow this one with interest, because I get the impression that it is impossible

Like this post
acfc

Likes # 0

I do not use either but the following works with my iPad and I believe should work

For word and excel use skydrive which has web apps allowing you to produce and edit documents. These have to be produced via the browser (switch to pc version when signed in rather than mobile)

Install skydrive on pc, use the skydrive folders and as with any cloud based documents you can use any device to access them. And of course any changes are synchronised. Note the app on the mobile device will allow you to view your information but to producen edit see above.

Syncing Outlook calendar is easy. Create a google account (use your existing email address if you only want calendar and contact sync)

Now install the imaginatively titled google calendar sync on your pc and of course associate the calendar on the Samsung to the google account and you will have a common calander across your platforms. This works far better than Apples Cloud solution! To make life easy you can also install Google Contact Sync which will do the same for your Outlook contacts.

Like this post
climb45

Likes # 0

This does seem rather a roundabout way to sync a calendar on my PC with a device attached to the same PC, but maybe this would currently be the best option.

Searching the Android and Blackberry app stores has come up with a couple of software titles, but they all seem to have as many negatiive as positive comments.

I must confess I am wary of storing full details of my whereabouts in the Cloud, but I'm probably amongst the minority!

Thanks anyway, acfc, for your informative response.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I must confess I am wary of storing full details of my whereabouts in the Cloud, but I'm probably amongst the minority!"

I doubt that, but it's an interesting subject. I think it's traditionally been the case that most people have been very wary of parting with personal information on the internet, but I sense a slight shift. Lots of people appear to be operating the 'triumph of hope over experience' policy of allowing their personal details to be stored on more and more servers. I meet people who tell me they go along with this because 'my details must be on so many databases by now, it's not worth bothering about'.

Like this post
climb45

Likes # 0

I work in a school which uses the Windows Live email system and email addresses have associated Sky Drive space. We have been advised not to save anything confidential within Sky Drive because it is not guaranteed to be secure. I doubt very much that the Google accounts are any better, which is part of the reason why I am hesitant about the Cloud.

Perhaps this subject would make an interesting PC Advisor poll.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features