We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless printers - any disadvantages?

sheila.weston
Resolved

Likes # 0

Are there any disadvantages to buying a wireless printer? I favour Canon, and am undecided between the Canon Pixma 4950 and the Canon Pixma MG4150, both of which have scanners included.

My previous printer was a Pixma 4200.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Wireless Printers are no different in printing performance than wired ones. They can sometimes be tricky to set up for multiple users but once set up I have found no drawbacks at all - perhaps a marginal delay before printing starts but nothing significant.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Some devices won't scan wirelessly.

Some HP devices won't.

However, I have a Pixma 6150 with which I have no problems

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

You may need to avoid 64-bit IE9 if you are using Windows 7, but the 32-bit version is safer all round in any case.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have Win7 64Bit and use a Epson SX445W Wireless printer, IMHO the printer is just excellent - and cheap too!

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Certainly Windows 7 64-bit is fine but IE9 64-bit does not work, certainly not with HP. However, running Windows 7 64-bit is fine but IE9 32-bit works fine.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

My Epson SX235w works with XP on my Desktop and Win7 64bit from my laptop with no problems.

Scanning works wirelessly OK from the desktop but haven't tried it from the laptop as I use it from another room and it isn't really practical.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Ah... good point about the 64-bit possibly having problems with some systems. I use Vista.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

sheila.weston - the reference to 64 bit made by xania concerns only the 64 bit version of the IE9 web browser and has nothing to do with the operating system. I use an old Canon printer on Windows 7 64 bit and that previously worked on Vista 64 bit. IE9 defaults to 32bit on my system so xania's concerns do not apply to me (or probably to most users).

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

The only disadvantage is, they could be used as a gateway into your system. Just like any wireless device, there is potential for someone to hack in to your network. So there is a security issue, which is why many businesses won't use them.

While the risk is minimal, you should be aware of it.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Couple of points.

LastChip is right about the security but most systems come with in-built passwords which SHOULD give adequate protection for the home user.

Nit sure asbout chub_tor's point. My system came with both versions and the temptation is to go for the 64-bit version. The word on the street is that 32-bit is safe and some fuctions fail on 64-bit. However, IE10 is on the horizon, and, of course, there's always Crome, Firefox............

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers