We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Currys laptop warranty bad laptop

hamzah786

Likes # 0

Hi i bought a laptop from currys on the 13th january 2012 at the time i was sold a display model as no other were in it was sold at full price to me at the time i also purchased knowhow.

After Having the laptop 3-4 days on 17th january the left arrow key fell of completely at this point i phoned the customer service line and was told i would receive a replacement if i were to go to the store which i then did on 18th january after arriving at the store i was told that they would not replace the laptop as they didnt know if i had broke it on purpose so they offered a repair however i declined and went home.

The same night after this i phoned and reporte to customer services exactly what happened they contacted the store and asked them why a replacement had not been offered they then stated that the laptop was not in goo condition however considering they sold me a display model i was shocked i have not followed the issue since then

i want to know what to do on this issue and what are my rights could i get a replacement as it was a display model etc the model was sold to me as brand new by the store thank you

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Personally I would never buy a "Display Model". That said having paid for "Know How" they should either repair or replace under the Sale of Goods Act. In your case the laptop "Is not Fit For Purpose" under the Act, unless they said it was sold "As Seen", though the fact that you purchased "Know How" you should be covered. I suggest you write a formal letter of complaint to Customer Services stating you require the laptop in accordance with The Sale of Goods Act to be repaired or replaced with the same or similar spec. model at no cost to you.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Why have you waited since January to raise this here?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

" i was sold a display model". The display models usually have to have locking software removed and cleaned before being sold and normally at a discount, marked ex-display. It is unusual to take one away from straight off the shelf. How did you choose that laptop?

As alan14 has stated, what has happened since January?

Like this post
hamzah786

Likes # 0

I have waited since january as i have been very busy and i am only 16 years old so very confused :/ and woolwell nothing has happene since january the laptop was sold at full price to me it was cleaned at the counter. i chose the laptop and went to pay i was then told i could only recieve a display model i asked for discount they declined :/

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Thank you for making it clear. Suggest that you contact Citizen's Advice consumer service. How did you pay?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fact that you bought a display model has no bearing on your consumer rights. As far as the law is concerned the laptop was new at the time of purchase, and the fault that developed with the key must be remedied by the retailer - either by supplying you with a new machine, or by repairing the one you have.

Go to the shop and tell the manager that you have consulted this forum. Say that I have told you that Currys is liable to repair the machine or replace it. If a repair is carried out this must be completed satisfactorily within a reasonable time. The law doesn't define what 'reasonable' means in this context, but three weeks would generally be considered the maximum waiting period.

If you decide to let the company repair your computer I advise you to back up any important files that you have on the hard drive before you part company with the laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...