We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New all in one printer

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - having spent most of the day trying to get my Epson SX600FW to scan more than two pages into Paperport, I'm ready to call it a day.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an all in one? Canon and Kodak don't get the best write ups, and although the SX600 has been excellent, I wouldn't mind trying something else. Especially as it won't print yellow, as I didn't remove the tape from the cartridge last time I installed it.

I don't need it for photographs etc as I have the Epson R2880.

Of course, someone may have the answer to my scanning problem, with a bit of luck. The print function is fine, it's just the scanning side of things, and as I scan every scrap of paper into Paperport, it's a pretty essential tool.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

How about this HP OfficeJet

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks - I'll add it to the think list! It's a better price than a new SX600, which is £149. I got it half price, so it was a bargain.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Try the SX535WD, I've got one and it's excellent

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/epson-stylus-sx535wd-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-11825609-pdt.html

I've had HP & Kodak for the last few years and I've been repeatedly disappointed and frustrated by them

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I see that the Kodak Hero 5.1 gets repeated good reports, is cheap to run, has duplex and wireless capability and is available for about £70, Local friends bought one and swear by it

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A bit dearer but I find Canon very good for photo printing. There are cheaper ones on their website. Canon MG6250

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Got rid of HP and Brother and just got an Epson (for A3 and ADF, plus a Canon for photos)!

I suppose you have to go with what you find.

HP produce some fine printers, but the software is rubbish. That's why I dumped the eventually, after more than ten years and four printers.

Just a small clutch at a straw for your scanning problem.

Many all in ones are flaky when scanning wirelessly.

If you haven't tried it hard wired give it a whirl.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions. A must-have is an ADF, which rules out some models. I've just got the BX305FW from Argos (£60) but one of the reviews says you can't scan diretly from the printer to the scanner. Don't quite understand this, but as that's what I want to do, I think it will be going back tomorrow without opening the box!

As far scanning goes, it's connected by a cable as it's about a foot away from the computer. The thing is that I'm not sure if it's a printer problem or a PaperPort one.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Never used Paperport, though I've had it bundled.

I usually scan straight into Word, using "Insert image from scanner".

This presupposes you have Word of course, and is expensive on storage space, but I have an big old redundant hard drive in an external case just for docs.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

I must confess to loving PaperPort and it contains my life for the past 10 years. I won't be beaten by this!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps not going to help you with the PaperPort issue, but I have a range of multifunction printer's, including a HP OfficeJet which must be nearly 14 years old (possibly older) and still working well.

HP support isn't as good as it was, but that possibly just my opinion over a recent problem?.

My recent purchases have been WiFi Canon (Argos) and HP (Staples) printer's, because they were very cheap on special offer. But have you considered Brother, because I have a DCP-135C that seems to tick all the boxes ( It came with a 1 year warranty, but on registration Brother added 2 more years for free).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes