We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which computer is most worth my money?

JoshBond

Likes # 0

Hello

I have recently decided to buy a desktop pc but I am not sure which computer I should buy. I have a limit of £500 :)

I would use the desktop mainly for playing games but I don't think I need the biggest specs to play them (minecraft and runescape). I would also want to be able to run a minecraft server off my computer (around 20 people at most).

I would like to be able to stream video in hd and music off sites like youtube and bbc iplayer.

Thanks for reading and all suggestions are welcome :)

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

With a limit of £500, I don't think you will get a computer that is capable of acting as a server for 20 people,and as for HD video most modern machines will play them, however you might encounter problems if you try to do anything else at the same time.

Terry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It might pay to do a archive search within this forum, because there are many similar "what can I get for £500" questions that appear on a regular basis.

Another alternative is perhaps contact someone like Novatech, Ebuyer, Dell and see what they can or would offer. At least going this way, you should get an indication as to latest pricing and specifications available.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Ignore raybelle2000's SPAM post.

With regards to your minecraft server, you will probably find that your internet connection will be the bottleneck as opposed to the computer itself. Minecraft isn't a particularly taxing application to run. Take a look here to see how many players you should be able to host a server for.

Would you be happy to build your own PC or would you prefer to by a pre-built one? Will you need to buy Windows or do you already own a copy?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Also, will you require a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes