We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT INFINITY - Poor Communication?

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

My local exchange, Baschurch in Shropshire, was one of those to win the Race to Infinity last year with a go-live date of March 2012. Work in the exchange has been done, and one village has consumers connected to this service.

Workmen outside my house (different village, but still supplied by the Baschurch exchange) have been laying the fibre optic cables. BUT, my queries to BT as to when I am likely to be able to change to a high-speed service have been met with a deafening silence. Live chat to a BT 'operative' resulted in "register your interest".

Am I expecting too much?

Is there any other way to find details?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Stick in your number and see.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you use the link wiz-king as provided, it will tell you straight away if Infinity is available to you. If it is not available, you can register an interest for later information.

In my area, some BT subscriber's can get it, other's cannot, even though they are using the same exchange.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have registered an interest (as provided by the operative) and the new manhole is right outside my house! I don't see why they are unable to give an estimated date now. Just have to be patient I suppose!

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I find that trying to get hold of anyone to talk to is like walking in treacle in January. Their easy (non) availability is one thing that's stopping me from switching to Infinity. I use Plusnet's high speed connection at 3.8 MBps

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

As well as layer the fibre, they also have to site fridge freezer sized comms cabinets in the area.

They need planning permission to put these up, and it may not have been granted yet by your village council.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

HondaMan

3.89Mbs high speed??

I get a regular 36+Mbs with my BT Infinity!

If BT Infinity is available in your area, I would go for it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

alan14. Thanks, I'll contact the local councillor.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

As Alan 14 mentions you do need the big green fridge freezer installed adjacent to the existing cabinet

Then it needs fitting out

Then it needs a power supply from the local electricty network

All this a separate operation by different units of BT and the the power utility and is the departmenalized way of doing thinds it is all a long winded process

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm. Had an answer from local councillor - no extra cabinets required in this rural location. All connections will be in manholes. Shall wait and see!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I would like to see the councillors thinking on that one

The linrpe that comes your house is where? In frohm out of the ground or in from a pole? The trunk cable from exchange to your location has to go into a distribution box somewhere and they are not usually buried-looding and all that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings