We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kaspersky Security

frybluff

Likes # 0

A friend of mine recently had her laptop stolen, in a burglary. She's rather "fallen on her feet", as her insurer have actually offered her a much better one, as replacement.

My only slight concern is that it will have a trial version of Kaspersky. I've never had it , myself, so I'm unsure whether to advise her to keep it, and upgrade, or take it off, and put something else on, for her. As she's not the most "security minded", she needs something that more, or less, runs itself, quitely, in the background.

Any advice, on Kaspersky, or a reasonable alternative, would be much appreciated.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

de-install it, and put on the free Microsoft Security Essentials. My father is as non-technical as they come and when he got his new PC, I put MSE on it. It is totally transparent, light on system resources, auto updates silently an - according to testing - has a good detection capacity.

Although MSE is meant to also be good for spyware, I would be tempted to team it up with free SpywareBlaster. Do that and she's good to go (although she will need to know the 3-click sequence to update SpywareBlaster from time to time)

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Totally agree about Microsoft Security Essentials. It is becoming clearer every day why it has risen to second in a couple of years in the programmes of choice for security

Like this post
polish

Likes # 0

i have kaspersky and it never causes me any problems updates itself and doesnt slow down the pc

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Kaspersky is a very well regarded security suite, so if she's happy to pay what it costs then it's a very good choice, otherwise go for Microsoft Security Essentials as others have said.

If you do choose Kaspersky, you will often find it available online in CD format cheaper than simply upgrading it online from within the application itself, so probably worth the effort of having a look first.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A rival magazine tested anti-virus recently and MSE didn't do too well. Avast was one of the better free ones. Kaspersky did quite well but Norton did better. You can get Faspersky free with Barclays online banking.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia