We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DEll sharp practice

tim666

Likes # 0

I bought a new Dell Computer 2 weeks ago and it has a faulty hard drive. The on line technical help desk at Dell advised to get the hard disc replaced but when I checked with customer service if Dell are prepared to guarantee the replacement part will be new they refused saying their policy is to replace from stock which may be new or "refurbished". Surely my consumer rights mean I can insist that I get a new hard disc replacement?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If it was me I would be wanting a new one, or even a new computer.

Must be someone higher up the ladder that you can contact.

Not sure what your legal rights are on this but I am sure someone will be able to give you the proper details.

Like this post
tim666

Likes # 0

Yes the issue is, do my consumer rights enable me to insist I get a new replacement for a faulty hard drive in a 2 week old PC that was not fit for purpose or does Dell's policy small print over-ride this right?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

You would have thought that you should get a new hard drive but some where in the small print you may find that they are allowed to fit a refurb unit.

But if you complain hard enough they should fit a new drive.

Sky have a similar get out clause in their small print in relation to their HD Boxes.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Dell have to prove the fault was not there when they supplied it, and they would find that difficult.

You are entitled to a new (not refurbished) computer, not just a hard drive (if you agree to just the hard drive you place yourself outside consumer protection legislation).

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Dell are not using 'sharp practice', because that is the standard procedures most manufacturer's use for supplying a replacement part under warranty. The refurbished part, should have all the same quality control checks as a new unit.

You should also consider, that if the hard drive is replaced, then all previous activity on that hard drive would be lost. Dell or any other manufacturer would not retrieve or transfer any data for you.

Due to the computer only being two weeks old, you could probably insist that you have no confidence in the product, then go from there?.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I had a somewhat similar issue. To be fair, I couldn't fault Dell's tech support, at trying to resolve the problem, they just weren't getting anywhere, and didn't have the authority to "make a decision".

It took a couple of "suitably worded" recorded letters, to "Customer Services Director", at their Dublin office (don't bother with UK address), to get an "executive", on the case. Strangely, he was able to offer a "full refund", but not a replacement. (I still can't work that one out).

Anyway, it was eventually arranged that they would send an engineer, to my home, and fit the necessary new part. Problem solved, but quite a bit of effort, getting there.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

so tim smith do as frybuff suggests and maybe use special delivery

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'all the same quality control checks as a new unit. '

Which failed in a fortnight!. I assume you bought on line? In which case, distance selling regs apply.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback