We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP dm1 or Lenovo X121e

jammy1988

Likes # 0

I've been looking for a small laptop to use when I'm away from my desktop. I want something better than a netbook,l but that's still portable, so at the moment I've narrowed it down to the following two 11.6 inch models:

HP Pavilion dm1-4125ea

and

Lenovo ThinkPad X121e

I actually ordered the HP yesterday since there was a 15% discount code that was about to expire. However, I've been told that I can just cancel it and decline to accept delivery tomorrow, at no additional cost.

The Lenovo can be configured to come with either AMD or Intel processors. If I went for the same processor as the HP model (AMD E450) then the price is just about the same. Essentially, they're pretty much identical machines, but I'd welcome any advice. I have tried out the HP in PC World, and the one thing I wasn't overly keen on was the 'rough' effect trackpad. I've also read that the Lenovo has a better battery life (and I assume it would be better still with the Intel processor).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have used Lenovo ThinkPads for some time and I'm a fan - the build quality (at least with the models I've used) has been excellent.

I tend to use my ThinkPad when I'm travelling, because of its light weight and slim profile, although that's happening a little less, now that I've fallen in love with my iPad.

I haven't any experience with HP laptops, so I'm not much help there I'm afraid.

Like this post
Paulie71

Likes # 0

The HP is a really good machine, had one a few months and been really happy, can't fault it. Screen is really good and so is sound with Beats Audio. I considered the 11.6 Sony which looks good aesthetically but that was more money for the same spec and the built quality is probably not as good - keyboard flexes when you type according to one review I read

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...