We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Flash player silent updates.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

For six weeks Adobe has been silently updating Flash. I was a bit surprised they would do that. Not to my liking.

Read here

I've dotted the radio button to notify me of any updates.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I spotted the relevant update which informed me about this and decided it was a step forward. There is no doubt in my mind that Flash needs to be updated for security reasons and having the update installed automatically is better than having it pop up asking to be installed every time.

The vast majority of people have Windows Updates installed automatically and I can't see the difference. It is as far as I'm concerned, an essential update, as is Java. Am I missing something?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

When you install flash now you also install flash installer and that will start every time you start your computer.

I like to know what is running at start up and I prefer it without Flash updater.

Mind you there has been a lot of updates lately but I prefer downloading them manually it always removes the old version before installing the new version so the choice is yours.

Like Taff™ says you update[ or some of you do ]Get your Windows updates automatically.Now we all know through experience that occasionally you get the odd bad update from windows so we can assume we will get the odd bad flash update.

I always update manually, Firstly because it is safer and secondly because your computer will run that bit quicker with automatic updates switched off.

I would side with rdave13 on this as I do not think flash informs you properly of the Installer that you download and that it is going to run every time you reboot your computer.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Personally I do not like automatic updates, due to a problem I had a couple of years back, when the automatic update screwed my computer up, as it did with a number of other computers, or at least that was the feedbacks provided.

As buteman states, it now comes with a Flash Installer, and this should show in Start-up. I was recently cleaning up my Start-ups due to slowness, and it was recommended by other forum users that I disable the Installer, which I did.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've also learnt the hard way with Windows updates and always set it to notify me. Java and Flash ,now, set to the same "notify" settings.

In some ways Taff™ is right and if you have no interest in the workings of the PC or OS then it is possibly a safer way. People with no interest will give the PC that's gone belly up to others to fix anyway.

My personal preference is that I want to know what is offered as an update and I'll decide what to do. It's a safer way for me.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

I also noted something downloading and was concerned,i always check the Windows updates and download manually.I prefer setting my own restore point before having decided on what to download.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...