We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Wireless Printer?

funkey_monkey

Likes # 0

I'm looking to get a wirless printer for our home. It will be irregularly used for both printing and copying.

Currently we have a Dell Printer (which I believe is a rebadged Lexmark) for which replacement genuine cartridges cost quite a bit of money. I ended up opting for pattern cartridges or refills - which seem to have messed up the print quality to the point where the maintenance function is unable to recover any type of quality.

I've been told that the HP wireless printers are quite good and replacement genuine cartridges are cheap. Is this true?

Specifically, I've been looking at the 3050 and 3050a printers from HP.

Can someone please inform me which of these is the best buy, or suggest a better alternative wireless printer?

Thanks.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've not heard anyone refer to HP cartridges as being cheap, but on the whole the printers are good.

Epson printers are good value, and the ink is reasonably priced. If you want to take the chance you can get very cheap compatible cartridges. Personally I always use compatibles and not had a problem yet.

Kodak probably have the cheapest genuine ink carts (on a per page basis) but I had one recently and setup was a nightmare, wireless connectivity flaky at best, and the genuine carts kept failing.

In the whole, I'd recommend Epson...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I use a variety of printers, and a CISS or compatible, refills are the way forward for cheapness.

Product wise, most are low priced and many a bargain can be obtained. For wireless, I have not long purchased an HP CN245B 3in1 printer for £39.77, and a Canon Pixma MX410 4in1 for £39.99, both from my local Staples store.

Epson are very good (compatible much cheaper), until they start going wrong, then it becomes a case of recycling and getting a new printer (the same could be stated for other makes). HP after-sales have failed in recent months, and it doesn't compare to what it previously was. Their cartridges are more expensive, either original or compatibles, which some types are getting harder to find.

One make that I like is Brother, because it is fairly cheap to buy and run, and if you buy at the right time from certain suppliers, you might get an extended 3 year warranty for free on registration!.

At the end of the day, choose what you like, then do an internet search for reviews on the particular models you think might fit the bill!.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I echo Alan14 comments on Kodak. I recently set one up on a neighbour's computer and was amazed by how long it took to set up and the unreliability of the thing once it was working. It seems to lose the wireless facility for no apparent reason and needs to be reset far too often. AVOID !

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I recently bought a Epson SX445W Wireless all-in-one - IMHO it is Excellent, and was not too difficult to set up. Though it did take me two attempts, my own fault for not fully reading the Instructions to begin with.

I always use Epson printers, with Compatible Inks, never had any problems.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have had Canon, HP (5), Epson and Brother.

While HP make good printers, the software is rubbish. It is simply bloat ware for the most part, very intrusive and some areas (scanning) very flaky, and very difficult to correct, or uninstall/reinstall when it goes wrong (the software, not the printer).

The software is the final reason I moved away from HP after having had 5 of them.

The best way to get a feel for the printer you want is to visit the user forums for that particular model.

Have a look at the problems other users are getting, and how easy they are to fix.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=0&oq=hp+305&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=hp+3050a#hl=en&gsnf=1&pq=hp%203050a&cp=11&gsid=c&xhr=t&q=hp+3050a+forum&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=hp+3050a+fo&aq=0&aqi=g2g-bK2&aql=&gsl=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.rgc.rpw.rqf.,cf.osb&fp=1b0218a9ac0a5650&biw=1138&bih=542

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sorry that link is obviously not suitable for the system.

Just Google 3050a support forum

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Personnally, I'm a bit of a Canon fan. Currently have an MP640. Excellent print quality, including photo, good software and wireless. Fairly easy to set up and use. The only slight drawback is, because it doesn't seem to like "cheap" compatibles, it's not the cheapest on ink (but not ridiculous).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more