We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tablet, netbook or laptop?

jammy1988

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm currently using a desktop but I want something that's a bit more mobile. It will mainly be for a bit of work and internet browsing, with nothing more demanding than watching films (I don't plan to use it for gaming for example).

I've had a couple of relatively cheap laptops in the past, but they could scarcely be described as particularly portable owing to their size/weight and battery life. I'm wondering whether to go for a small laptop, a netbook or a tablet. At the moment I'm leaning towards a tablet, more specifically the about to be released Asus TF300, since it appears to be an impressive tablet and a good alternative to a netbook. Having never owned a tablet before I honestly don't know how much use I'll get out of the tablet side of it, but I'd be interested to hear any advice. In terms of price, at £399 the Asus is in the range I'm looking at. Netbooks tend to be cheaper, but if I went for a smallish laptop I'd be willing to go a bit higher, but not much.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Lucky me - I think I am going to be given an IPad for my b'day. Several of my friends have these and swear by them. They also use them in preference to their desktops except when they want to do serious long work with Documents or Spreadsheets when they find the screen a bit too small - but then netbooks screens are small, too.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It depends what type of work you want to do.

Watching films is fine on most tablets, and web browsing, email etc, but if you want to work on it then I'd think twice, as typing on the virtual keyboard will be slow and laborious.

As an aside, a sales rep from one of our vendors popped in the other week to give a presentation on new products. I asked him where his laptop was so I could get it hooked up to the projector, and was very surprised when he brought out an iPhone and hooked it up to the projector with a little dongle. As good as any laptop at that job, and much more portable.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

This is what I eventually bought rather than a netbook http://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/96383-acer-aspire-722-116-inch-mini-laptop-amd-dual-core-4gb-ram-500-gb-hdd-4717276516666.html It has a faster processor. much more RAM and a large HD. As it only has a 11.6" screen and is very thin, it is highly portable.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

If you're going to be using it for work and decide to go for a tablet then I think the Asus Transformer is a good choice due to its keyboard. There is also a newer version called the Transformer Prime, but costs around £500 and another one soon to be released with a higher resolution screen called the Transformer Infinity.

I was actually very close to buying the Transformer Prime myself but in the end I opted for an Ultrabook - the Asus Zenbook with an 11" screen. I figured it does everything a tablet does plus much more and I am highly impressed with how quickly it boots - never seen a computer boot so fast. It also resumes instantly from sleep mode and is just as quick to use as a tablet.

The new Windows 8 Ultrabooks being released in the near future look very promising indeed and look like they will take a tablet / laptop hybrid form with a touchscreen that can be folded over the keyboard for tablet like use. I sort of wish I'd waited for one of those now :(

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Sorry, didn't realise the Transformer TF300 is a new model. I thought it was the original Transformer that has been out for over a year or so. This one must have been released since I last looked into them.

Like this post
jammy1988

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to go for a netbook/laptop for now, specifically the hp dm1-4125ea (about £290 when bought with a discount voucher directly from HP). It sits in an ideal place between netbooks and laptops; it's slightly more powerful than a netbook, and the extra 1 inch on the screen means it has a more practical resolution, yet it's still very portable, unlike many larger laptops.

As for the tablet, while I very much like the Asus Transformer range, I think I'd rather stick with Windows for now, since at this point it's more practical for work purposes. I'll be waiting with great interest to see what Windows 8 has to offer, and if Asus were to put that on their Transformer range, I think that would clinch the deal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...