We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To have or not to have

HondaMan

Likes # 0

I don't know about the rest of you but I feel a bit uneasy about this Auto upgrades. If I choose NOT to have Microsoft's latest upgrade or even be forced into the latest version of IE, why should MS be allowed to force me?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just do what most others do ,Start using Firefox or one of the other browsers.

At the moment they are trying to push Bing to everyone.Then you have Silverlight.it does not matter how many times you refuse it it keeps popping up again even though you have ticked for it not to be shown again.

All I can say is that they are shooting themselves in the foot the more they press you to download something you don't want ,the more chance you will shift to a different Browser.

Although I have IE/8 downloaded I never use it as it has become so slow compared with other browsers.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I already use several other browsers but that is not the point. What else might they be including in these updates, spyware for example. My view is that no one should be able to install software on my computer without ny consent!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Thats why is use Linux mint im not forced, io choose.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

From Microsoft's point of view it is much simpler for them to support a single browser.

To this end they're desperate to get as many people to move away from IE 6 as possible. This in generally a good move as IE 6 was a dreadful browser.

I don't know why they haven't gone the same way as Google. Chrome silently updates, downloading in the background and installing when you shut it down.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Chrome silently updates, downloading in the background and installing when you shut it down."

Only if you let it.

I am still using v 8.0.552.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Only if you let it.

I'm wondering why on earth you would want to stop your browser from automatically downloading and installing security fixes?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

HondaMan you say "What else might they be including in these updates, spyware for example. My view is that no one should be able to install software on my computer without my consent!"

MS are not forcing you to do anything. You do not have to allow any updates/software onto your computer. With updates you just change 'install updates automatically' to 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

I was not referring to my machines but the principle. I was not aware of "silent updates" until I saw the article, as no doubt were many others. IMHO companies should not be permitted to indulge in this practice.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I'm wondering why on earth you would want to stop your browser from automatically downloading and installing security fixes?"

Because I don't like anybody installing things on my computer, or changing my software, without my say-so.

For instance, if I had automatic updating of Windows I would have Silverlight and Bing updates, neither of which I use. If I had automatic updating of Spybot I would have Teatimer updates, which I don't have.

Maybe I'm a control freak, but it's my computer and I'll decide what gets downloaded, and when.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

HondaMan

Microsoft have been conducting worldwide campaigns to get people to move away from the hell hole that is IE6, and some people just don't know how to update the browser, or point blank refuse.

IE6 is a security nightmare, and is responsible for the army of compromised PCs around the world used for DDOS and spam attacks.

Anything that removes this piece of junk from the internet is to be applauded.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger