We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kitchen Appliance Insurance

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

The warrantees on our new kitchen appliances have recently expired and I have been looking at this firm:

Warranty Shop

Has anyone any experience of them.?

The phrase ' if it looks too good to be true......' comes to mind.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Looked for customer reviews for Warranty Shop and very hard to find any.

Wot gives it no Security ratings so maybe something new which has not been rated yet.

Hotpoint gives you a 5 year warranty on most of there things so if your appliances are over 5 years maybe best to let them run till they need renewing.

Sods law will probably work.The week after the warranty runs out one of your appliances will conk out.

Example.My van insurance company phoned me to see if I wanted to safe guard my no claims bonus in case of an accident.I told them I was not intending to have an accident so I refused.

You guessed it next day I had an accident and lost all of my no claims bonus.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

buteman I know the feeling. We cancelled the dog insurance on out previous dog after 6 years.

A few months later she suffered an auto immune problem and cost us £1200!

Back to the kitchen:

Our appliances are all 'Ramona' brand ( Howdens). The warrantees ran out last January as they all came with the bungalow. We had all Hotpoint stuff at our previous house and the last renewal was about £200 if not more, so was pleasantly surprised at the link site.

I can only find the reviews on theit site like you.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I never buy extended warranties. The Sale of Goods Act clause that "Goods must be fit for purpose" is your first point of call. Items over £100 generally are considered should have a life of at least 5 years before failure. I had a TV in the bedroom used less than an hour per day that was 2 years old when it failed. I complained to the retailer quoting the Sale of Goods Act. I was asked to get a report from a qualified TV engineer who said that an economic attempt a repair would cost more than a similar replacement TV would as the faulty part may have caused other parts to fail. A similar replacement TV was delivered within a few days FOC. Generally the older the item is the more you may have to contribute to get a replacement.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like I said maybe a newish firm.No reviews may be a good review.If anything goes wrong you usually get a bad review from someone.But none with this company.

I had a look at their address and it is a new building in Doncaster probably they only rent part of it.

Just wondering if it could be an old firm with a different name.I am sure it said it dealt with over 70.000 call outs in the one month.Which would make it part of a UK wide organisation.

It is the lack of reviews that tends to put you off.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

And I see the maximum claim on the cheap quote is £170. romanby1

I probably will give it a miss then.

Thanks

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There's a company that offers breakdown insurance cover, who deals with nearly all of the well known manufacturer's. Might be worth a look at their services http://www.domgen.com

If you have household insurance, then check to see if they offer cover. Most possibly they do, perhaps in the form of additional Emergency Cover?.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Spuds

Not great customer reviews for them either but then again if you are happy with the service you get you probably don't post a review.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

buteman

"Hotpoint gives you a 5 year warranty"

On a new washing machine it is only for parts after the first year. For call-out I have seen a figure of £94 quoted so it is probably cheaper to get a local repairer in. Also with appliance insurance we had a problem with a 4 year old machine, that was not economical to repair, where my wife wanted to update the machine, and offered to pay the difference, only to be refused the opportunity to do so. The machine that was a direct replacement came with a copy of the suppliers invoice, that we did not have to pay, that was almost £100 dearer than we could have bought the same machine for from a discount supplier. In total the premiums paid during the life of the machine equated to what we could have bought the replacement for!! I would only bother with appliance insurance if it was a particularly expensive, or prone to go wrong appliance. I now put the premium that I would have paid into a savings account for repair/replacement machines.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Put the money you would pay for insurance into an interest bearing savings account, tax free if possible.

Add the "renewal premium" each year.

Do this for each item.

Unless you are really unlucky you will build up more than enough to buy a new one in case of a major breakdown.

All of out major appliances, washing machine, microwave, dishwasher, cooker, cleaners, etc. are over five years old except the freezer, replaced, from the fund, two years ago (the tumble drier is twenty odd years old!)

We now have a couple of thousand ready to replace anything, with which we can hunt around and get a discount for cash.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

canarieslover. We too had a washing machine years ago that had a 5 year warranty that needed new drum bearings. The engineer who inspected and subsequently fitted the new drum tried to convince the insurance company that it would be more economic to replace the machine with a new similar model. He was unsuccessful in convincing them.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...