We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Diesel engined cars

Esc4p3
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all

I have been a petrol car owner all my life, and have not had a diesel car once. However, with the current price of fuel and the supposed better fuel economy of a diesel I am tempted to switch.

I am likely to go for a Ford Focus (new shape) 1.6 diesel which is supposed to do about 67mpg combined, or maybe a new shaped Astra. I probably get around 35mpg from my petrol 1.6 Astra now.

In the past I have avoided diesel cars because the purchase price was more expensive and because I don't do many miles (8,000 per year) I feel it would take me too long to recoup the £2,000 (approx) extra you pay for the car by only saving £5 a week in fuel. Also uncultured diesel engines of the past sounded rattly and horrible, whereas they don't seem so bad nowadays.

I know from experience that my petrol engined cars never reach the claimed MPG on the spec sheets, is this true also for diesel cars?

So what would you do, bite the bullet and go diesel, or stick in the comfort zone.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If going for diesel make sure it is a TDI one.They are Far quicker when overtaking and better MPG than the normal diesel engine.

If you have an Astra now I would stick with that make,You know how they run but are usually a bit dearer than some of the other makes.

So shop around find out which car you really want then troll the Internet for the cheapest deal.

Sometimes buying a showroom model from the dealer can save you up to £2.000.It is usually used for giving customer trial runs and sometimes only have about 500 mile on the clock.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Unless you're talking about a BMW Series 7 or similar, the bottom line is that they all smell, and sound, like London cabs!

"For mainly short journeys and around town work then stay with a petrol engine as a diesel engine is at its least economical with this sort of work."

That;s why buses use them!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[The bottom line is that they all smell, and sound, like London cabs!]

Certainly a different smell from petrol.Always use the plastic glove at service stations when fueling up.

Sound like a London cab.True,But only on the outside,Inside is as quiet as any other car.And I would agree if only using about the town stick with petrol.If doing 30 miles a day or more go for diesel.

If going for diesel make sure it has TDI [Turbo Direct Injection] installed.

Like this post
Esc4p3

Likes # 0

Thanks all. Good recommend for the Honest John site, I shall spend a bit more time on there.

The consensus seems to be for me that for the amount of miles I do, stick with Petrol. I have now got my eyes on a good bargain petrol Focus although it is located 200 miles away, but I have bought from that garage before, so watch this space!

Knowing me, it will take a while to finally settle on the right make and model. I haven't driven the new shaped Focus or Astra (Golf etc.), so I need to do that. My father in law gets 'What Car' and the new Hyundai i30 keeps getting rave reviews, but somehow I find myself being a bit of a car snob with that brand. Probably unreasonably...

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

You may have seen the article from the Honest John site about the real mpg figures you can expect. Telegraph Comment

Another article explains why Diesel car owners may be wasting their money. Based on Glass's Guide report. Telegraph - Article

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have just been through this process myself having been forced to change to an automatic gearbox so that my wife can drive again - she recently broke her wrist and can't balance the handbrake and clutch - we looked at all the diesel and petrol combinations for the Ford Focus Estate, talked to dealers and read Honest John. We only do about 6,000 miles a year and with their recommendations in mind we ended up buying an ex-Motability 2.0L petrol model.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback