We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Diesel engined cars

Esc4p3
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all

I have been a petrol car owner all my life, and have not had a diesel car once. However, with the current price of fuel and the supposed better fuel economy of a diesel I am tempted to switch.

I am likely to go for a Ford Focus (new shape) 1.6 diesel which is supposed to do about 67mpg combined, or maybe a new shaped Astra. I probably get around 35mpg from my petrol 1.6 Astra now.

In the past I have avoided diesel cars because the purchase price was more expensive and because I don't do many miles (8,000 per year) I feel it would take me too long to recoup the £2,000 (approx) extra you pay for the car by only saving £5 a week in fuel. Also uncultured diesel engines of the past sounded rattly and horrible, whereas they don't seem so bad nowadays.

I know from experience that my petrol engined cars never reach the claimed MPG on the spec sheets, is this true also for diesel cars?

So what would you do, bite the bullet and go diesel, or stick in the comfort zone.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 1

Yoiu need to look here and follow the threads.Honest John I know that they are very popular in that they supposedly are cheaper but I don't subscribe to that con trick,

Like this post  
Pine Man

Likes # 1

is this true also for diesel cars?

Definitely!

I used to have diesel cars but you never get the return unless you do about 20,000 miles a year.

My last three cars have been petrol with my present car being a Golf GT. It only has a 1.4 litre engine but it is turbo and supercharged, quite fast and returns about 45 mpg using petrol.

Like this post
Esc4p3

Likes # 0

Interesting, thanks Pineman

I haven't seen a price for it yet, but I fancy the Focus 1.0 litre Ecoboost. Supposedly as powerful as a non-turbo 1.6 litre but with better fuel consumption. Good reviews online too.

I expect it may be too expensive though, initially.

Like this post
Esc4p3

Likes # 0

1.0 Litre Ecoboost Petrol engine, that is :-)

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

A lot depends on the sort of driving that you do. For mainly short journeys and around town work then stay with a petrol engine as a diesel engine is at its least economical with this sort of work. If you do quite a lot of long, motorway type of motoring the diesel really comes into it's own. My 1.6 diesel Focus returns around 55 mpg with motorway type driving but short, around town journeys knock it down to around 42 mpg. Current eco versions of petrol vehicles, especially those with stop-start technology, are usually much more efficient around town and as good for motorways. Unless you tow a caravan then I would now opt for the eco petrol vehicle.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I have a diesel engined Audi A5 3.0 quattro sport. It has very good fuel economy despite the large engine. Before this I owned a Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 petrol which used to drink fuel. The larger engined Audi is much more fuel efficient.

The only thing you need to watch for if you only do low mileage with a diesel is that most modern diesels have a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which regenerates itself when the car is being driven at fairly high revs for longer than twenty minutes (motorway driving)these filters can become clogged and cause problems if low mileage stop start driving is all you do.

It would be worth querying this with your supplying dealer.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

I have a diesel Volvo S80 - my third - and now get 49 mpg on long runs and 44 mpg on local stuff. I do about 15-20,000 miles per year and would not change it for a petrol model (yet! Depends on how much diesel goes up)

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Then there's the increased frequency of services and the problems with Dual Mass flywheels etc etc etc. I'd say not worth it for the mileage you do.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

My problem is that I have a petrol car with a DMF. I'll get all I can out of it and then have a "proper" one fitted

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

We've got two diesel cars at home.

I've got a Mini Cooper D, claimed MPG is 68, I'm getting around 60mpg from 400 miles a week of mainly high speed motorway driving (75-80mph), so I count this as a good result. I should note that my MPG has climbed from 57.1mpg to 59.7mpg since the weather has warmed up a bit, not sure why that should be.

My partner has a Kia Soul CTDi which claims 57mpg and she gets 35-38mpg from a mixture of local roads and a quick squirt between Junctions 35 & 37 of the M6, she drives about 65mph on the motorway. This is a very poor result and she has managed to persuade Motobility to swap the car as it is unusually bad.

For 8,000 miles a year I wouldn't bother with diesel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite