We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Statesman Electrical Appliances

Border View

Likes # 0

First time I have asked a question which is not directly related to computers but figured this would be an excellent forum to pick brains.

I am looking for a new washing machine. I prefer hot and cold fill washing machines but they are like hens teeth. I have found a manufacturer of a washing machine called Statesman XT6 1230W. My problem is that after six hours trawling the internet I can only find one (not very good) review of the company "Statesman".

Statesman web site shows the coming from Gloucestershire..

My question is has anyone reading this any experience of the company? Do you have a Statesman appliance, either washer, oven, hob, fridge etc.

I would be able to purchase a washing machine via a Euronics store but before I do I really would like more information about the reliability of the company and its appliances.

So - have you any experience of the company Statesman?

Thank you.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"It states "regular" whatever that may mean"

Well, Halley's Comet is regular so you probably need to do it once every 75 years ot so!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I think, as much as anything, cold fill only is a question of ease of control.

Modern washing machines are designed to use an optimum amount of water, for any given wash cycle. If using cold fill, that is easy. The machine simply takes in that volume of water, and heats it to the desired temperature. If it is using H & C fill, it somehow has to decide how much of each, BEFORE it knows the ACTUAL temp of the "hot" water, to end up with the right total volume.

It would be difficult to acheive both energy efficiency AND water conservation.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

FE

I am not sure what the relevance was to how a domestic/hot-water storage cylinder temperature in maintained?

But getting back to washing machines the fact is in most cases apparently washing machines do not use any significant amount of hot water and this is the crux of the argument for cold fill washing machines. In the UK, most washing machines traditionally get their hot water supply through a gravity fed hot water cylinder (as you have described) which usually has low pressure. In this scenario the truth is that hardly any hot water ever gets into the average washing machine on most washes and your washing machine has probably always heated up the water a lot more than you may have assumed.

Explanation:

Washing machines with a hot water valve almost always fill with hot and cold water on most washes (non-fast coloureds, woollens etc.) So, because hot water cools rapidly in the hoses and the household pipe work, and it usually has much lower water pressure than the cold water supply, by the time the hot water starts to get through into the washing machine, the washing machine has just about finished filling anyway. This is particularly true these days because washing machines are using a lot less water than ever before.

Still not sure? Most modern washing machines (5.5Kg drum capacity) only use about a washing-up-bowlful of water to wash in or something like 6 litres. The water usage figures may be 40 odd litres or more but most of that water is used on the rinses.

I am sorry but I believe we are being led on this one, it seems a much more logical reason to me that the true reason for cold fill machines was because manufactures on being tasked to provide energy efficiency figures for their machines found it impossible and required to have full control something that they could not do with an external heating source

And how inconvenient was this to our manufacturers to have to manufacture a hot fill machine when on the Continent and Japan consumers have happily used cold fill machines for years.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

namtas

"I am not sure what the relevance was to how a domestic/hot-water storage cylinder temperature in maintained?"

The relevance is that it makes a hot fill machine wasteful in terms of energy,as I explained.

Your assertion that "In the UK, most washing machines traditionally get their hot water supply through a gravity fed hot water cylinder (as you have described) which usually has low pressure. In this scenario the truth is that hardly any hot water ever gets into the average washing machine on most washes and your washing machine has probably always heated up the water a lot more than you may have assumed." Is erroneous. Cold-fill only machines have been the norm in this country for years, and there are not many hot and cold fill machines sold these days. I haven't had a hot and cold fill machine for over thirty years.

Increasingly, people have had combi boilers installed, so there's no stored hot water for a machine to use, even if it wanted to. The fact is, as I've said already - cold fill machines are more energy efficient, and they wash clothes better. You can argue the point of course, but you're fighting a lost cause.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Argue away but The fact is that their are many many consumers today here in the UK who are not convinced and are actively looking for hot fill washing machine, I suspect many more would be making that same choice if they were not in such short supply. The fact is that choice has been removed by promoting so called more efficient machines where in actual fact the efficiency is more to do with the amount of water used rather than the energy required. Consumer demand however has remained so much so that some suppliers are sourcing and promoting hot fill washers and in doing so giving the consumer a choice, I don't think that they would go to that end unless their was a demand.

"Increasingly, people have had combi boilers installed, so there's no stored hot water for a machine to use, even if it wanted to"

Irrelevant to the point being made, gas Combination or otherwise it is heated by gas which today for many is a cheaper energy source per kilowatt

At that point we shall have to agree to disagree.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Borderview

To answer your original request, this could be useful information

http://shop.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/productinfo.php?ref=3&productsid=6810&affiliatebannerid=1

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

The link was meant to take you to this product

ISE W288eco Washing Machine

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'