We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Driver scanner/updater

frybluff

Likes # 0

Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE driver scanner. I downloaded trial versions of two, one of which told me I have two out of date drivers. The other tells me I have THIRTY-FOUR out of date..... Ummmh. I am running Win 7 64 bit.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

These programs are not reliable and I would not personally use one. What driver(s)are you concerned about. If all works OK then I would suggest that you don't change anything. Do you have any problems ?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I, initially, had an intermittant fault with wireless connectivity on my Dell XPS.

To be fair, Dell tech support worked hard to resolve the problem, and eventually decided there is a hardware fault, and are going to relace the network adapter. Unfortunately, in the process, they managed to knock out my sound. They had considerable difficulty in getting it back. In the process of that, they must have tried installing, and removing, at least a dozen drivers, or versions of drivers.

I now have my sound back, but no idea what driver versions I have. It occurs to me I'm likely to have problems, in the future, when it comes to driver updates, if my current ones are non standard, or older versions.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As a general rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" If you have to update one, open device manager, select the item you want, right click and select "Update driver software".Like iscanut I would avoid these global update driver programmes.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Like others I would shy clear of virtually all of the update driver programs. I always recommend that you leave well alone unless you have problems. I would also recommend that you download a little program like Speccy from Piraform (Who make CCleaner) and run it and it will then tell you in great detail exactly what is inside your machine and it often also tells you how individual bits are running temperature wise etc. If you then have a need to update a particular driver you can go direct to the manufacturers web site knowing exactly what you have inside and that makes getting the correct driver or firmware update so much easier and safer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features