We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Infinity speed increase

Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I wonder just how many people will be affected by this 'upgrade', and how many will not?.

Nearly every month I receive marketing mail from BT about returning back to their fold, and I also receive the same amount of marketing mail from Virgin regarding their fibre-optic speeds and services.

With my present ISP, I suppose to be on a 'upto' 20MB package, but due to the present old BT infrastructure, I can only receive about 25% of what I supposedly should perhaps receive?.

I recall the days of dial-up, when we were told that speeds at the very lower end, was the only thing that the services could supply, but of cause, broadband as improved considerably since those dark slow days. Perhaps the government promises of higher speeds, and everyone 'will have' access to broadband, is not far off the horizon for at least some in the not to distant future?.

Like this post
Salut

Likes # 0

Spuds, I totally agree. I too had a recent letter from BT suggesting that I return to them and gain speeds 'upto 15MB'.

An email to my current provider, O2, confirm that the best available in this part of Chester is 1.9MB. They point out that until BT upgrade the ancient cabling 1.9MB is all I can get.

Curiously, a neighbour who does use BT has an average speed of 1.6MB and has been told by BT, quote, 'that's good for round here!'

Once again, ISP's seem to be able to promise whatever they dream up and deliver b+gger all!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have BT infinity for one of my broadband connections, they told me I would get 34MB and I normally get 38MB only dropping to 34MB at peak times.

Dont compare optical speeds with twisted pair, both BT and Virgin optical fibres give me very good speed and both give what they say.

With twisted pair I can only just get 1MB as I am so far from the exchange and on some very old cables paper insulated in mostly underwater ducting even in this dry weather.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer