We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

simplyelectronics?

rickf
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have you bought anything from this online retailer? If so are they any good? Thinking of buying something from them. Cheers

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This should be in Consumerwatch. Moving it from Speakers Corner now.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Trust Pilot. http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.simplyelectronics.net

Amazon.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reviews-of-Simply-Electronics/forum/Fx2L8YAWZTSCQUK/Tx2JDL36I8HDYBS/1?asin=B00065GZL2

Google for customer reviews if you are thinking of buying.

Think I would try somewhere different.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

buteman the links are very helpful I won't touch them with a barge pole. Thanks

Like this post  
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

Yes I have, and successfully sued them in the small claims court after I cancelled my order and they then sent it out and billed me six weeks after that and 'dragged their heels' on the refund. Got my money back and compensation.

I should in fairness point out that other than the product being dispatched very late,(I cancelled after waiting 2 weeks for dispatch for a lens they said was in stock) it was otherwise as ordered and would have been great.

Like this post
nicke

Likes # 0

@proclaimer - how did you sue them? I thought they were a Hong Kong company? Did you serve the papers (or whatever it is you do in a small claims case) to their return address on the Isle of Wight? Did they turn up and fight? Did they pay?

Good on you for standing up to them anyway.

After 2 weeks of waiting for a refund, I've filed a dispute with Visa. Hopefully they'll take it from here..

Nick

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

"Did they pay?" - "Got my money back and compensation."

Doh!

Like this post
nicke

Likes # 0

Well, I'm hoping to get my money back courtesy of VISA, and I wonder whether there's some consumer protection fund thing.. Like, if you get hit by an uninsured driver, you can claim from a fund maintained by the insurance companies (and ultimately, us).

I'm just really surprised anyone even showed up at court.

I heard that all Trading Standards could do was refer things back to HK..

Good on Proclaimer, anyway.

Like this post
nicke

Likes # 0

Plus, there's a difference between being awarded compensation, and actually receiving the cash..

N

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I used the on-line service to sue them in in the small claims court, as I recall it was in Nottingham. I certainly had a UK contact address, (I believe they gave that to me in an e-mail exchange), for them to have the papers served. There was no actual court attendance. It was all mail.

The court agreed to my claim and gave them 60 days to respond, to contest, with a defence. They did not respond so the claim was deemed undefended so I 'won'. 2 weeks after that Simply Electronics paid me my refund, including postage and £50.00 in compensation that I claimed for my time and inconvenience.

This was 2 years ago.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

Here is the address I used in the claim;

SimplyElectronics.net Unit 32 26 St Michaels Ave Gedling Nottingham NG4 3NN

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund